Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Concerning worksheets > SUNBATHE    

SUNBATHE

...Alena...
Russian Federation

SUNBATHE

Hello everyone!

I �ve got a BIG problem.

Thanks to Sophia who pointed out the mistake in my recent ws: SUNBATHE.

I used to say this word with [d] as the last sound, but before using it in my ws I decided to look it up in Lingvo dictionary.�

All the dictionaries give its transcription with [d] as the last sound, all the dictionaries except for the one I used. Lingvo says it should be pronounced with [t].�

Are there any variants of pronunciation or is there a mistake in Lingvo and consequently in my ws too?

What should I do with my ws? So many people downloaded it!�

Thanks.

22 Oct 2010      

foreverjinxed
South Africa

Hi there
�sunbathe � is with a voiced th (I don �t know how to make the phonetic symbol on my pc.) (your phonetic symbols look like �t � and �d � on my computer in this forum.)
Don �t worry too much about all the people who dowloaded your ws, we all know that we need to check all ws �s before using them ^_^ I �m sure you can just add a comment or note in description section about it ^_^
Hope that �s helpful ^_^

22 Oct 2010     

PhilipR
Thailand

Sunbathe - ˈsʌnˌbeɪ�

The final sound is /
/, which is the same as the �th � at the beginning of �then �. It is definitely not a /t/; it �s actually much closer to a /d/ than a /t/ sound.

Personally, I don �t see any BIG problem with your ws. As it�s quite difficult to �do a Toyota� (major recall of faulty worksheets), don�t worry; it�s just a peccadillo...

22 Oct 2010     

banska bystrica
Slovakia

Hi Alena,

as far as I know, the correct pronunciation of "sunbathe" is as Philip says, but to be honest, this week I did one listening activity from the Headway pre-intermediate course book, and one person spoke about her country (I forgot whether it was Egypt or Mexico) and she pronounced this verb using the sound as in the word "thanks"...  I had never heard that before... Wacko

22 Oct 2010     

...Alena...
Russian Federation

Thanks all of you for your replies.

I just wondered that there can be a mistake in such a widely spread dictionary.Cry

22 Oct 2010