Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Native speakers, please, help!    

Native speakers, please, help!

kiaras
Mexico

Native speakers, please, help!

Handshake  Hi! Can you tell me if "grant holder " is the right term to use when a college student ( s )  spends some hours working on campus in order to pay his/her tuition? Thank you in advance and have a great weekend, everybody!  Mary

22 Oct 2010      

MoodyMoody
United States

I �d probably say the student is on work-study. If the work is teaching, the student may have a fellowship. Nothing official here, that �s just me.

22 Oct 2010     

arlissa
United States

What MoodyMoody said is true. In the USA, we would not say "grant holder," for the situation you are describing. It would be called a work-study program, and then the student would simply be a student with "work-study."

If, however, someone was given a special grant, we would call them a "grantee", not grant holder. Grants in the USA are usually not associated with students though (businesses and professionals); if it is money given for a student to attend college, then it is called a "scholarship." In such cases the student would then be a "scholarship holder."

22 Oct 2010     

edrodmedina
United States

Arlissa...back in the 70 �s I studied under what was called the BEOG or Basic Educational Opportunity Grant. Ed

PS... and no not the 1870s

22 Oct 2010     

yanogator
United States

Yes, students often receive grants from the government (federal or state). One popular one is the Pell Grant.

Bruce

22 Oct 2010     

kiaras
Mexico

Thanks a lot, dear friends. I guess what works in this case is: " the student is on a work-study program." Thanks again!   Mary 

22 Oct 2010