Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > What is this called?    

What is this called?

foreverjinxed
South Africa

What is this called?

Hi :)
I need some help, please.
Does anyone know what this is called?
It �s the first area you step into in a home or restaurant in Korea, and many other places in the world too, I´m sure. I´ts an area that is not level with the rest of the floor, it´s about 10cm ´deep� it �s the place where you remove your shoes (if you remove your shoes when entering the home,) or leave your umbrella. Here´s a pic: http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?fbid=34214740228&set=a.34214405228.57408.34214005228
Thanks in advance :)

23 Oct 2010      

edrodmedina
United States

The only words that come to mind are foyer and ante room but those don �t describe that indented area you describe.

23 Oct 2010     

Jayho
Australia

Hi foreverjinxed

In our older Australian houses this area is generally surrounded by three walls and is referred to as the hall.  Newer homes are more open plan these days and this area is sometimes just referred to as the entrance area  In a business or restaurant it is called a foyer or reception area.  However, in all cases it is (generally) at the same level as the floor.  It is not customary to take our shoes off (unless our host requests it) but we would leave our umbrellas there, and perhaps even heavy winter coats or rain coats.

Cheers

Jayho

23 Oct 2010     

gkole70
United States

When I lived in Korea, we called it the entryway.

23 Oct 2010     

sulekra
Australia

I would use entryway or entrance room too. Maybe a word similar to cloak-room or hat-check room exists, like a shoe-check entrance room;) For larger areas you can also use lobby or vestibule, and also foyer or ante room as mentioned before...

23 Oct 2010     

dawnmain
United Kingdom

in England it is as described by Jayho - hall in the house, foyer or reception in a big building.

23 Oct 2010     

David Lisgo
Japan

In Japan we just call it the entrance. It �s really not big enough to be described as a room.

23 Oct 2010     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

hallway, may be...
Sophia

23 Oct 2010     

zoemorosini
United States

There �s a new term used in the USA nowadays, "mudroom."  I think it �s an area of the front hall--maybe even a separate, small room off the hall-- used to store boots, shoes, umbrella stands, rain coats, and other outdoor gear that may be wet or muddy.  There �s often a bench there for sitting and storing items.  Here, however, it �s not below the general floor level, but on the same level as the rest of the house.  What is being described by foreverjinxed sounds like something I �d call the "lower hall."

23 Oct 2010