Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Help me please     

Help me please

Pretty3
Saudi Arabia

Help me please

Hi,

1- Are these sentences correct :

There are several reasons for this. One thing is that man often hunts and fishes too efficiently nowadays.

There are several reasons for this. One is that man often hunts and fishes too efficiently nowadays.

2- Is this sentence correct:
There are many reasons for extinction : pollution, hunting, fishing and deforestation .

3- What is the difference between these vrebs : circle  & encircle ??
Can we use them Interchangeably ????

Thanks a lot,
:)

23 Oct 2010      

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Dear Pretty3,

In my opinion, these sentences all appear to be Standard English.

1) There are several reasons for this. One thing is that man often hunts and fishes too efficiently nowadays.

2) There are several reasons for this. One is that man often hunts and fishes too efficiently nowadays. 

3) Is this sentence correct:
There are many reasons for extinction : pollution, hunting, fishing and deforestation .

However, I would choose Number 2.  "There are several reasons for this. One [reason] is that man often hunts and fishes too efficiently nowadays".  (You are talking about �reasons �, not �things �).

I have no problem with Sentence 3, except possibly, the addition of some words:
" There are many reasons for the extinction of plants/animals: pollution, hunting, fishing and deforestation".  In British English, the preposition �for � is perfectly acceptable.

3)What is the difference between these verbs : circle  & encircle ??
Can we use them Interchangeably?

Oxford Dictionary of English.
�Circle�
1. �Circle� - verb, with object.  �Move all the way around�; �Fly around repeatedly�; Example: "We circled round the island".
2. �Circle� - verb, with object.  �Form a ring around�; Example: "The abbey was circled by a huge wall".
3. �Circle� - verb, with object.  �Draw a line around�; Example: "Circle the correct answers".

�Encircle�
1. �Encircle� - verb, with object. �Form a circle around�; �Surround�; Example: "The town is encircled by fortified walls".

Can we use them Interchangeably?
Looking at example 2 for �Circle� and example 1 for �Encircle�:
"Yes!"  (But ONLY with these meanings, "Form a ring around" and "Form a circle around".  Not with the others!  A �ring� and a �circle� are very similar.)

I hope that this helps you.

Les

23 Oct 2010     

yanogator
United States

I completely agree with Les (as I usually do).

Bruce

23 Oct 2010     

Pretty3
Saudi Arabia

Thanks a lot Les

23 Oct 2010