Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Is it right ...?    

Is it right ...?

chenchen_castrourdiales
Spain

Is it right ...?

Hello again,

Is it right to say "He WENT OUT INTO the street." ? Or is it a literal Spanish translation? Is there any colloquial phrasal verb or expression with this meaning? Thanks in advance. 

23 Oct 2010      

carinita
Argentina

OK

23 Oct 2010     

SueThom
United States

Depends on what you �re trying to say.

When I read "he went out into the street", I picture a child whose balled rolled off the sidewalk and into the street, so "he went out into the street" to get it or maybe someone "went out into the street" (i.e. walked a few steps off the sidewalk, into the street) to flag down a taxi.  In both these cases, "street" signifies the part of the street or road on which cars drive, which in US cities is usually clearly distinguished from the area reserved for pedestrians.

If you replace "into" with "to", I can see using it to describe someone leaving an apartment or hotel, e.g. "went out to the street to buy a newspaper" or "to see what was going on".  In this sense, "street" refers to the general area outside the building, not specifically where cars drive.

What �s the Spanish phrase you �re thinking of and/or the situation you want to describe?

23 Oct 2010