Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > questions tag pronunciation    

questions tag pronunciation

sulin
Peru

questions tag pronunciation

please somebody help me ... onmonday I teach the question tag but when does your voice goes up at the end of the question ? and when does your voice goes down at the end of the question?

23 Oct 2010      

carinita
Argentina

Broadly speaking, when intonation falls (in tags) you don �t expect the listener to answer If the intonation goes up, it means you �re expecting an answer There may be exceptions but I can �t give you an example right now

23 Oct 2010     

carinita
Argentina

Read this http://www.englishclub.com/grammar/verbs-questions-tag.htm

23 Oct 2010     

moufida
Algeria

hi!

show a pen to pupils and say: this is a pen, isn �t it? you are sure, it �s a pen. you don �t need an answer from your students. so, the intonation is down (falling)

point at a pupil you are not sure about his name and say: you are Brian aren �t you? here you need the student to give you the right information about his name. you are asking for information,. so the intonation is up (rising)

i hope it �s clear for you, now.

23 Oct 2010     

libertybelle
United States

A negative sentence has a positive tag. (the word NOT makes it negative)

ex. You are not going - are you?

A positive sentence has a negative tag.

ex. You ARE going - aren �t you?

23 Oct 2010     

sulin
Peru

thank you so much ...I understand the intonation in tag questions ... you are great !!!

23 Oct 2010