Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > If you know the name of the food or something seemed, please help me!!    

If you know the name of the food or something seemed, please help me!!

Flora1
Brazil

If you know the name of the food or something seemed, please help me!!

I have asked it before, some people tried to help me, others just made fun, so here I am again to ask about the name that I could call these food in English I know that some don�t exist but I want to know your opinion, ok: the  first is like  a small cake of chocolate, the second is made of cheese, the third is made of chicken.

25 Oct 2010      

edrodmedina
United States

The ones in the middle look like doughnut holes, although they could be creamed filled puff pastry

25 Oct 2010     

baiba
Latvia

Flora, did you read ALL the answers or just the funny ones?
http://www.eslprintables.com/forum/topic.asp?id=23638&page=1

25 Oct 2010     

Bahrain
Bahrain

the first one : Chocolate muffins
the second one: Puff pastery
third one :Kebbeh dough( we always made in our country, it is very famous in Syria"
i hope i help"

25 Oct 2010     

Pretty3
Saudi Arabia

1- chocolate cup cake
2-   I don �t know
3- Kebbah  ( labanese dish )

25 Oct 2010     

kprichorniana
Mexico

Medina said exactly what I was thinking...or they could be cheese filled round sourdough bread like we have in Mexico.  The first looks like a chocolate to me...and the third...I have no idea what it is but it looks delicious!!!

25 Oct 2010     

cornflour
Saudi Arabia

the first one is mini cup cake, the second one is a Saudi desert that called " Kolayja" It �s made of brown flour and filled with mixture of dates and some honey. It keeps you worm in winter with some coffee. The last one is "Koba" and it �s a syrian food. It �s made of something like flour but it � not I don �t know it � name in English and it �s filled with amixture of meat, onion, pine. Actually, it � very delicious. I hoppe that help you.

25 Oct 2010     

Cristiane Prates
Brazil

Flora, as a Brazilian I may assure you there �s no way to translate these dishes into English, simply because they �re typical food. Can you translate sushi, paella, pizza? You can �t, because they �re typical Japanese, Spanish and Italian food. Relax. When your students ask to translate these and also dishes as feijoada, p�o de queijo, buchada, etc, this is, in my opinion the best explanation.
To a non Brazilian person I �d explain these are snacks usually used in parties, specially birthday parties and of course, explain how delicious they are and give some tips about how to cook them.

For everybody

The first one is called "brigadeiro". It �s made with chocolate powder, condensed milk, butter, and chocolate crispies. (first invented in Brazil)

The second one is "empada"  a probably Portuguese dish, which could be explained as  a kind of "pot pie " with a bottom and top completely encased by flaky crusts and baked inside a pie tin to support its shape" (wikipedia)

And the last one is coxinha which (according to the legend) was first made in my hometown in Brazil - Limeira - SP. Princess Isabel had a mentally disabled kid who only wanted to eat chicken legs. As they were running out of them, the maids in a farm in Limeira (where the boy was sent to not to cause problems) came up with the brilliant idea of mixing together flour with  chicken broth, and filling that mixture with chicken before frying in hot oil.

25 Oct 2010     

Cristiane Prates
Brazil

Only now I �m reading some answers (you were typing together with me). Nooooo! The first one looks like cup cake, but it �s not a cake. There �s no flour in it. Brigadeiro is not a cake. LOL

The second one could be one of the things you said, but generally it �s a salty dish. It can be sweet, but it �s not so common.

And , LOLROF, coxinha is not from Syria

25 Oct 2010     

Cristiane Prates
Brazil

LOL, e-mail me for recipes....

[email protected]

25 Oct 2010     

kaz76
United Kingdom

The chocolate one is a truffle - you can get two types of truffles: those that you buy as a box of chocolates and those that you buy at the baker �s.

25 Oct 2010     

1    2    3    Next >