Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Job Interview    

Job Interview

arlissa
United States

Job Interview

Hello friends, I have a job interview for a new tutoring program starting in my area. I don �t know yet what age of students I would be working with, nor their exact skill level. I �ve been asked to complete an "interview questionaire" before coming to the interview on Wednesday. One question asks, "How would you introduce yourself and the program to your students (for the first day)?"

Since I don �t know the age or skills yet of my students, I �m not sure what to write! Of course I will start with something to the effect of, "Much of my style of introduction will depend on the level and age of the students..."

However, I don �t want to give a totally vague answer. What are some common elements you would choose to include in an introduction of yourself and a tutoring program no matter the age or skill of the students???

Thanks for any suggestions!

26 Oct 2010      

chrissmolder
Australia

You could mention some activities for �getting to know you � and for needs analysis.

Good luck =)

26 Oct 2010     

colibrita
United Kingdom

One idea is to put 3 experiences on the board:

I �ve been to the carnival in Rio de Janeiro
I �ve run a marathon
I �ve flown across the Grand Canyon

Two experiences you will have had, the other is false.

Then the students have to ask you questions to ascertain which 2 are true.

Then it �s their turn. You can learn some really nice and interesting things about your students, and they will probably enjoy finding out about you. It �s very simple but because it �s personalised it really works well. Of course it will depend on them having the level to do this. Good Pre-intermediates and upwards

HTH

Colibrita

26 Oct 2010     

colibrita
United Kingdom

In your interview you could tell them that an activity like this is great for introducing yourself and each other as it helps to quickly create a bond between you and your students. 

26 Oct 2010     

Chris Brookes
China

When I am meeting students for the first time I always do the same introduction and it never fails. The reason for this is because I keep it simple but EFFECTIVE.

I ask each student their name. One student will always ask you your name also.
Then ask another question of your choice.
How old are you?
Where do you live? etc.

Go around each student asking the same question to each. The students will realise what you are doing and repeat the questions back to you. Include topics like FAMILY, HOBBIES, FAVOURITE things.

This will make your introduction fact finding, interesting and fun, interactive as it includes all students and also a basic assessment of their understanding of different topics.

I have used this sometime and it seems to kick start interest regardless of age.

Hope this helps.

Christian CHINA

26 Oct 2010     

jannabanna
France

I usually start by drawing a quick outline of the UK (my home country) on the board and then I put a dot where I was born.  If their level is good enough I then say something about the town and then about myself, my family, etc.  They always ask questions.  If they are beginners I sometimes give my introduction in French.  Then one of them draws a map of France (the country where I live and teach) and one by one they come up to the board put a dot where they were born and so on.  The all ask each other questions and find out the things they have in common.  On the second lesson I ask them to draw a quick caricature of each other (by putting them into pairs - for example) and then after collecting up the "works of art"  I show one caricature and say, "Who do you think this is?" "What can you remember about him/her?" and so on.  Always works well - hope it does for you.

26 Oct 2010     

arlissa
United States

Thank you for the wonderful suggestions. I definitely will include a game with my introduction, and will have to consider which option is best. Thank you!!

26 Oct 2010