Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > help me    

help me

napster
Costa Rica

help me

Hi my dear and respectable friends, I want to ask you , what is the name of the object which is used to play "board game" thanks !

26 Oct 2010      

edrodmedina
United States

a board? or are you asking about a die (1) or dice (more than 1) ?

26 Oct 2010     

Lina Ladybird
Germany

Ed, "dice" can also be used as the singular form as far as I know... Wink

26 Oct 2010     

almaz
United Kingdom

Absolutely. You can use one, two or more dice nowadays. And the pieces you move might also be referred to as men, counters, stones etc depending on the specific game ( �a piece of pie � or �wedge � for Trivial Pursuit, for example).

26 Oct 2010     

edrodmedina
United States

Gee just when u think u have a hold...they go and change the rules.

26 Oct 2010     

almaz
United Kingdom

I know, Ed.  I can hear my old English teacher rotating furiously in his grave. But then again, he could never understand why nobody laughed at his Anglo-Saxon jokes (in Anglo-Saxon).

26 Oct 2010     

yanogator
United States

Ed,
You and I can stick together on insisting that the singular will always be "die".

"Pawn" is another name for the moving piece in a board game. I find that it is becoming pretty common in the rules that come with games, especially if the piece is shaped like a chess pawn.

Bruce

26 Oct 2010     

almaz
United Kingdom

Oh, come on, chaps, never say die!

26 Oct 2010     

franknbea
United Kingdom

LOL

26 Oct 2010     

reeta1
Canada

a pawn, I believe

27 Oct 2010     

douglas
United States

I �m "die -ing" with Ed and Bruce on this one--dice as singular is common usage, but it �s still not correct.  I, and most teachers, would mark it wrong on a term paper and if it was seen on a resume it would be counted against the person.

"playing piece", "marker" or "token" are commonly used for the other item.

27 Oct 2010     

1    2    Next >