Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Dear friends    

Dear friends

Mabdel
Morocco

Thank you all dear colleagues for your great help. You �re simply amazing.

26 Oct 2010     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Hello, Jolly Jumper.

What about "a week off" then if you mean out of work?

I �m not sure if your mother-tongue is English, or not!  If it is, I apologise for lecturing you.

Yes!  We can also say:
 "I am taking a week �s break!"  ("I am having a break from my work!")

This last response of mine was in answer to the specific question asked.  "A break" means a pause from whatever it is that you are doing --- working; looking after your Mum; digging your garden; etc.  Usually, it means �my work �, �my paid emplyment �, but not necessarily so.

In answer to your question about �a week off �.
Yes!  You can say: "I �m taking a week off", but this is not specifically used for when you are �out of work � ( �unemployed �), and I did not say that.

You could use: "I �m taking ... a week �s holiday"; " ... a week �s break", or " ... a week off", and, broadly speaking, they all mean the same thing.  You are taking a break, a pause, a rest, a holiday, from what you normally do.

"A week �s holiday" implies that you are going somewhere for a holiday, a vacation, to London, for example, but not necessarily so.  "I am taking a week �s holiday and I intend to lie in bed all week".

"A week �s break" and "A week off" imply that you will stop doing what you normally do, and intend to do something different, probably, simply take a rest.

I hope that this helps.

Les
PS.  Your name is �Jolly Jumper �.  Do you do a parachute-jump with a smile on your face?

26 Oct 2010     

< Previous   1    2