Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > synonyms    

synonyms

barakat
Palestine

synonyms

hello everybody
can anyone help me to differenciate between " photo, picture, image, statu, portrait, graph"
I �m confused
thanks

26 Oct 2010      

eng789
Israel

Try here:  http://translate.google.com/#en|ar|photo

26 Oct 2010     

MarionG
Netherlands

I can �t help you with all of them but a with a few of them few I can:
A photo is made with a camera whereas a picture can be made also by drawing or painting or I suppose even embroidery etc. etc.
A portrait is the representation of a face (which can be either made by a camera or by other means).  
A graph is usually a visual representation of data (as in statistics, math etc)
Here it gets more tricky (for me at least)...
An image (I think) is any visual representation, close in meaning to picture. A picture is more confined, more independent and tangeable like on paper or something whereas the word image is broader in scope. Images can be part of something larger, like �disturbing images� in a news cast or images that are used in a bigger presentation
I don �t know the word statu but since it seems to come from statue or stature it might be something 3dimensional...
This is just out of the top of my head, as Eng789 suggested, maybe a good dictionary is a good idea..
hope this helped

26 Oct 2010