Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > infinitive     

infinitive

maria ivette
Albania

infinitive

it is correct to ask.   Why learn English? or Why to learn English?

26 Oct 2010      

edrodmedina
United States

Why learn English?

26 Oct 2010     

almaz
United Kingdom

�Why to ...? � doesn �t work, so �Why learn English? � is the only option here if you �re thinking of a discussion/essay. Then again, if you �re trying to elicit a specifically personal reason, �Why are you learning English? � would be better. 

26 Oct 2010     

aloga
Spain

I would say "Why learning English?
Gerunds used as the subject of a sentence.

26 Oct 2010     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

If you are saying: "What is the purpose of learning English?"  "What benefits will come from learning English?"  "Tell me, why should I learn English?"

then:

The question: "Why learn English?" is perfectly sensible, because it is Standard English.

In a longer form, it actually becomes: "Why should we learn English?"

"Why TO learn English?" is not Standard English!  I have never heard it spoken by an English person!

I agree with Edrodmedina and Almaz.

Les

26 Oct 2010     

almaz
United Kingdom

Ana,

"Why learning English?

I �m sorry, that just doesn �t work as a question on its own. I �ve tried to shoehorn it into context and all I can come up with is: "What are you doing at that school?" - "Why, learning English (of course)."
You might also say "Why learning English can be a pain in the neck" which would provide a more �traditional � use of learning as a gerund.

27 Oct 2010     

yanogator
United States

I agree that "Why learn English?" is a correct sentence. Don �t say "Why learning English?", because this gerund is not the subject of a sentence, since there is now no verb.

Bruce

27 Oct 2010     

maria ivette
Albania

THANK FOR YOUR HELP..

27 Oct 2010