Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > vocabulary    

vocabulary

chenchen_castrourdiales
Spain

vocabulary

Once again I need your help. Do youknow any other word related to what children usually buy with their pocket money? Here in my country there is a wide variety of different things children usually buy but when my little students ask me how to express it in english I always tell them the word "sweets/candy" or crisps. However, they know sweet only makes reference to the small food made of sugar and wrapped. Do you know any other word?

On the other hand, I want to ask you if the expression "It �s raining cats and dogs" is old-fashioned or is it still used in nowadays English. I thought it was so I told my students to use "It �s pouring (down) / It �s bucketing down" insted. But one of them told me he went to Dublin this last summer and he heard that expression.

Thanks in advance.

26 Oct 2010      

kprichorniana
Mexico

Hey there!!!

munchies...snacks....

26 Oct 2010     

mags2003
Ireland

Hi there. Personally I wouldn �t usually use the phrase "It �s raining cats and dogs" but it would sometimes be used here in Ireland. More common though would be "It �s pouring rain" or "It �s raining heavily" or "It �s lashing rain".

Also in relation to your sweet question, we �d use the words "sweets", "bars" (of chocolate), "crisps", "snacks" or "treats".

26 Oct 2010     

dawnmain
United Kingdom

I say raining cats and dogs. 
As well as the others you mentioned.
and we used to say �rubbish � to mean sweets and other stuff that is bad for kids.  I dont know if thats a northern thing though.

26 Oct 2010     

Refuerzo
Spain

Hello:

I will say junk food to mean sweets and other stuff

I Hope it helps you

Greetings

Gema aka Refuerzo

26 Oct 2010     

cortneyfields
United States

I still hear people say "It �s raining cats and dogs" here in the US.  As far as the sweets go, most of my students say "candy" or "gum" or "cakes."
Hope that helps!

26 Oct 2010     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

"It �s raining cats and dogs" is used frequently where I live.

Les

26 Oct 2010     

libertybelle
United States

I agree with Les - we use that expression all the time.

27 Oct 2010     

Jayho
Australia

Many children save their pocket money to buy toys and comics.

"It �s raining cats and dogs" is definitley not old fashioned and I use it when the rain is torrential-like.  Normally I would use "It �s pouring (down) / It �s bucketing down".  To me, there is a slight difference.

Cheers

Jayho

27 Oct 2010     

Zora
Canada

"candy" is used in Canada when we are talking about "sweets, chocolate bars, gum, etc" in general.. In the supermarkets, there are "Candy" sections or aisles and that is where you find all the chocolate bars, licorice, candies, etc...

27 Oct 2010