Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Hyperactive students    

Hyperactive students

Afrouz
Iran

Hyperactive students

Hi my dear friends. I teach students in range of 7 to 10 . Some of them are really hyperactive they never sit on their chairs. All the time  try to sing songs and play games but they are just interested in jumping screaming fighting. How should I treat them? How can I make them interested in English language? 

26 Oct 2010      

olaola
Italy

I have a lot of experience with similar students... it is not easy to deal with them. The thing I usually do is to try to keep them calm for the first lessons so that they can get used to remain on the chairs and listen to the teacher: so songs and games are not appropriate for the first lessons: I give them color by numbers worksheet of crosswords or  I create simple tasks for them such  as obeying commands (standup, open the door etc.), answering personal questions or copying letters or readings. After some lesson they should be quieter, so you can start more "active" lessons....
Of course this is my strategy, I am sure there are better ones, but with my students it works...
I hope that this can be helpful to you
good luck!!!
olaola (tiziana)

26 Oct 2010     

MarionG
Netherlands

I am posting the link to a very interesting lecture/presentation by Richard Levoie about working with behavioral problems and  learning disabled kids - It mainly deals with ADD or HDAD (�hyper�) kids and what we can do to help them and help our classes. It is well worth the time!! (about an hour - it is not some quick fix superficial idea so it takes some time to work out)

Highly recommended!!! A must see for teachers

26 Oct 2010     

Errie
Japan

I �m dragging the worst ones in front of the class and let them teach the others. As soon as they noticed this won �t work for them they will feel embarrassed.  This always works for me. I also give them a little responsibility by letting them hand out/hand in wss or homework so that they feel that they �re doing something important. And if they won �t listen at all...just completely ignore them  for awhile. When they don �t calm down after that you should spend some time with them alone and talk about what this kind of behaviour does with you as a teacher and their classmates and most of all....trying to find out why they behave like that by listening to what they have to say.

Most of them who show such behaviour are having a low selfesteem for whatever reason that may be. Problems at home you name it. Just let them do things that make them proud again.

I hope this is useful for you.

27 Oct 2010     

Lulu La la
Thailand

Hi

Hyper kids huh....  In my opinion, only one solution.   Take them outside, and do some Physical Education with them.  Let them run and get it out of there system.  Children have endless energy so let them use it.  Don �t be affraid of overworking them!  I am a PE teacher too, and they love to run.   Hyperactivity is not a behavioral issue, it�s the nature of children.  They are all the same.  They want to have fun, so give them some fun.  learning through play.

Once they are done, get them cleaned up, back in the classroom, make them lie down, close their eyes, and play some classical music, this will calm them down beautifully.  Then, on with the lesson.

Good Luck

27 Oct 2010     

Kita19
Portugal

Hello!

Unfortunately, I also have experience with this kind of students. First of all, do you have these students for the first time? Or they know you from previous years? If you are begining teaching them, I think it �s much more easier, because many students will test you and what you allow them to do. Here you have to be consistent with what you say. For example, you are doing a speaking activity or game. Students are being disruptive and you say that the 1st one you have to warn again will have to solve a worksheet. If you warn someone after you say this, you HAVE to give him/her a worksheet, or the next time students won �t take you seriously.

You can take a disruptive student out of the group and start to make a funny activity. If the disruptive student wants to participate, you don �t allow to. (Sometimes this makes me a bit sad, but it has to be done like this!) The next time, he/she may think twice before being disruptive.

Other things you can try too:

Ask them what they would like to do in English classes to learn English (you can give examples, such as games, songs, films, worksheets...). See what they say and try to make those activities more often.
I have a kind of quizz I give to students at the beginning of the year with many activities listed and they have to draw smiles in each of them, expressing if they like that activity very much Smile, it �s ok (Stern Smile) or don �t like (Unhappy) - instead of smiles you can have colours too (green, yellow, red).

I think it �s also good to give positive feedback to students who usually missbehave but in one class they happen to be calmer or did a very good job ("Very good, John, today you behaved well! Next class I would like to see it again, ok?"). You can give stickers or small prizes after a certain number of classes with good behaviour (I have a chart which is filled after each class. Each student says what they think they deserve, they analyze their own behaviour that day and can also give their opinion on their classmates). This helps them to be aware of their behaviour.

Vary the strategies. Children get bored easily! If your students like to move, you can make some activities where they have to move - for example, a game. That way, they are still moving, but because YOU say they have to. After such activities, you should make a quieter one. Sometimes I ask them to "sleep". They lie down on the desks and pretend to be asleep for a while (be prepared for some funny ones who like to snore!! lol Say that you don �t want to hear anything.). After a while, ask them to wake up and pretend to wake up. Nice to start the lesson or change activity.

I hope some of these ideas can be useful with your students. It �s not easy to work with this kind of students... I think the key is to catch their attention and make them have fun. Usually interested students are not disruptive. If they are having fun, they pay attention.

Hugs,
Patricia

27 Oct 2010     

kprichorniana
Mexico

Hyper activity...a problem that presents itself more and more often in the world!!!

Are you talking about kids diagnosed with ADD orrrr just kids with behavior issues.  In my experience, you hardly get more than 2 ADD kids in class...if you get more....I really feel for you my friend. 

In the school I work, ADD kids are helped by a department call "Educational Enrichment" (or something like that, the name is in Spanish) my special students are taken from class for two hours three times a week... Is there a psycologyst in your school? If so, then ask them to come observe the child during class to get their opinion...

Kids who have been diagnosed need to be medicated adequately...They need  to be helped to form habits �habits will help them concentrate (mainly the medication will, but they still need structure).  This can only be done if they are taken to the doctor.  So my advice is TELL the parents. 

Have a teacher-parent conference and ask whether there is an ADD problem with the child or not.  And if they don�t know�then find the way to suggest getting a diagnosis for the kid (some people are sensitive about things such as this)�

An ADD kid with no help, in the classroom, disturbs the learning atmosphere for everyone else and no one learns. 

You can get all sorts of information about helping ADD kids on the web, but you can only do so much�Help should also come from home and from professionals that specialize in such cases�

Good Luck!

Elida

27 Oct 2010     

Afrouz
Iran

WOW I learned a lot from you my dear friends. I will do whatever you said. thank you so so so much.Hug

27 Oct 2010