Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Teachers!    

Teachers!

brytems
Peru

Teachers!

Hello everybody!

I heard that in noth America is not necessary to learn the verbs in past tenses. I saw it on a TV program. For example now you can say: I played soccer yesterday  or  I did play soccer yesterday both sentences are correct, of course in affirmative sentences you can use the auxiliar "did" and the verb in base form. I am wondered, I do not know if it is true. you can research it! and share it for all english teachers.

see you soon
best regards.

26 Oct 2010      

kamaelamini
Tunisia

Hi,
I played soccer yesterday : This is the ordinary use of the simple past 
However  I did play soccer yesterday the use of Did is for the emphatic form and this is what makes the difference between the two sentences. 
Nowadays I think there �s a  tendency in American use pf the present perfect instead of the simple past to talk about fulfilled actions.
eg: I saw the man /I �ve seen the man
Ihope these hints will be helpful
Best regards

26 Oct 2010     

lizsantiago
Puerto Rico

yes, both are correct, in the second one the did is used to emphazise that you did the action

26 Oct 2010     

kamaelamini
Tunisia

Hi,
I played soccer yesterday : This is the ordinary use of the simple past 
However  I did play soccer yesterday the use of Did is for the emphatic form and this is what makes the difference between the two sentences. 
Nowadays I think there �s a  tendency in American use pf the present perfect instead of the simple past to talk about fulfilled actions.
eg: I saw the man /I �ve seen the man
Ihope these hints will be helpful
Best regards

26 Oct 2010     

yanogator
United States

"I did play soccer yesterday" is grammatically correct, but is never used just as a simple past statement of fact. As the others said, we use "did" as an emphatic form, especially when defending something or correcting a contradiction.

Hey, John. I played soccer yesterday.
No, you didn �t. You stayed home all day.
You �re just wrong. I did play soccer yesterday.

No one (in the US, at least) would use "did" in the first sentence of this conversation.

Bruce

27 Oct 2010