Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > HELP     

HELP

linhthuy
Vietnam

HELP

Hi everyone,

I need your help.
I was working out the questions from the given cues. It was about "A WALK FOR TOURISTS" and the cues were "WHAT/VISIT?"
My answer was: WHAT DO YOU VISIT/ WHAT PLACES DO YOU VISIT/ WHAT PLACES WILL THE TOURISTS VISIT?
BUT a friend told me that it could be WHAT WILL THE TOUR FOR TOURISTS VISIT?

I wonder whether our answers are good or there is something wrong.

Could anyone help us.

Thanks so much.

27 Oct 2010      

Vivilui
Argentina

I don �t think the last option is correct since "the tour" itself doesn �t or won �t visit anything. The questions may be many, depending on the grammar point you are working on: present, past, future, conditional, etc. So, it could also be: What would the tourits visit? (if you are hypothesizing) / What are they going to visit? / What are the tourists visiting?  (if you are talking about plans for the immediate future; future arrangements or you are following a timetable). Hope it is useful.

27 Oct 2010     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Dear Linhthuy,

I am not exactly sure what you want.  Do not forget the question marks!  You will lose marks if you do not write them!

1) WHAT DO YOU VISIT?  ("When you go on your walk, what do you visit?")  OK.
2) WHAT PLACES DO YOU VISIT?  ("When you go on your walk, what places do you visit?")  OK.
3) WHAT PLACES WILL THE TOURISTS VISIT?  ("When you go on your walk, what places will the tourists visit?")  Good!
4) WHAT WILL THE TOUR FOR TOURISTS VISIT?  NO!  This is ungrammatical!  What will the Tour-Bus visit, Yes!  Tour, No!

Question 1 and Question 2.  The questions are about something that you did in the past, several times.  You have already been on several tours, in the past.  "What do you visit?" means --- "What do you normally visit?"

However, Question 3 asks about a tour which is in the future!

With the information that you have supplied, my opinion is that Question 3 is your best question.

Vivilui makes many, very good points.

I hope that this helps you.

Les

27 Oct 2010     

linhthuy
Vietnam

Dear Vivilui and ldthemagicman

Thanks very much for your help. I think I know what to do now.

Cheers,

linhthuy

27 Oct 2010