Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Chocolate    

Chocolate

Alyona C.
Ukraine

Chocolate

Dear friends,

One of my pupils wrote:
There is some chocolate in the bar and There is a chocolate in the bar.
Are they correct?
I think they are not correct. What do you think?

Thanks in advance.

27 Oct 2010      

blunderbuster
Germany

Chocolate is uncountable if you mean the material.

Chocolate is countable (a chcoloate) if you mean little pieces of candy made of chocolate, sometimes every single piece is wrapped and or decorated.

Was the student writing about chocolate bars like Mars, Snickers, Twix, etc?

27 Oct 2010     

Alyona C.
Ukraine

She was writing about a bar of chocolate like Mars and some chocolate on the table.

27 Oct 2010     

SueThom
United States

I would understand "There is some chocolate in the bar" to mean that one of the ingredients in that candy bar is chocolate.

I would take "There is a chocolate ON the bar" to mean there is a piece of chocolate on some sort of counter (like a bar where drinks are served).

27 Oct 2010     

foose1
United States

A Mars bar cannot be broken into pieces or squares like some chocolate bars.  If it is a whole Mars bar, then I would say, "there is a Mars bar on the table." If there is a Mars bar that has been broken in half and the other half, a third or whatever has been eaten, then I would say, "there is a quarter/third/?? of a Mars bar sitting on the table.  If the Mars bar is broken into pieces, then I would say, "there are some pieces of a Mars bar sitting on the table."   Of course, if you can �t see what it is that the student is thinking/talking about, then it is really hard to correct them.

27 Oct 2010