Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Papel Picado in English?    

Papel Picado in English?

ueslteacher
Ukraine

In Ukraine we call this traditional paperclipping technique vytynankaSmile It �s the folk art.
Sophia
P. S. We don�t use them the way you do though, we frame them and hang them on the wall.

27 Oct 2010     

carinita
Argentina

By the way, the traslation for "papel picado" is CONFETTI:
Small pieces or streamers of colored paper that are scattered around during the course of festive occasions: Confetti covers the floor every year on January 1.

27 Oct 2010     

Ide_Bere
Mexico

We place them on tables to put some food, drinks, bread, sugar skulls, etc on it in order to maka an altar. The belief is that the deads come and eat all the things they liked when they were alive.
Look at this pic:

They �re colorfull and everithing goes on them

Bere

27 Oct 2010     

MarionG
Netherlands

I know (and have experienced first hand -or finger) that a paper cut is also a cut caused by paper but believe me the paper art is also known as �paper cuts �. What is interesting is that when you google images for �paper cuts �, you get the more traditional Chinese / Japanese Jewish etc. very delicate art works, whereas googling �paper cut outs � seems to give you the more modern, also 3d work. Maybe there is a difference somehow?
Either way, the results are simply amazing, what incredibly talented people exist in the world! It�s good to take a moment once in a while and be awed by beauty.......

27 Oct 2010     

yanogator
United States

I do some paper arts, specifically quilling and origami, and I know that the general name for this art is "paper cutting". In Japan, they call it "kirigami". I don �t know about other countries. In the US, we often call it by its German name - Scherenschnitte.

Bruce

27 Oct 2010     

edrodmedina
United States

Another paper cut...You learn sumthin gnu every day

27 Oct 2010     

yanogator
United States

As a mathematician, I find this cartoon offensive, since it cuts about 85% of the picture, rather than the stated 23%. It sets a bad example for students.

Bruce  Wink

27 Oct 2010     

edrodmedina
United States

LOL...ahhh but �s its 23% of the entire cartoon.

27 Oct 2010     

carinita
Argentina

That comic strip made me laugh! LOL Clap

27 Oct 2010     

< Previous   1    2