Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Can you help with a word?    

Can you help with a word?

silviamontra
Spain

Can you help with a word?

Hello to everyone,
I am preparing a class for catering students and I have come across a word that I don �t know, and for which I cannot find a clear translation/definition.
The word is "commis". It is supposed to be a job related to restaurants or the catering industry. Can anyone help? Thank you very, very much.
Kisses to all

27 Oct 2010      

jecika
Serbia

http://www.talktalk.co.uk/reference/dictionaries/difficultwords/data/d0003686.html

best wishes

27 Oct 2010     

silviamontra
Spain

Thank you very much jecika. That �s the definition that I also found in the net, however, according to the book I am using in class a commis is the person who prepares the vegetables. That �s why I was asking if anyone knew the word. What do you think? Do I follow the book, or do I trust the internet definition? 

27 Oct 2010     

Mariethe House
France

It is a french word ( you know French cuisine!!Big smile) and Jecika �s reference is perfectly right! BTW Jecika: nice to see you! WOn �t forget your birthday this yearWink ( next year !)

27 Oct 2010     

silviamontra
Spain

I imagined that, but I was not that happy with the idea of having to say that the definition from the book was not right.

Thanks again.

27 Oct 2010     

el_profe55
Argentina

THE COMMIS IS AN ASSISTANT TO A CHEF.... MAYBE A CHEF WHO HAS RECENTLY COMPLETED FORMAL CULINARY TRAINING OR IS STILL UNDERGOING TRAINING... IN OUR LANGUAGE IS AN asistente de cocina....

bon appetit!!!LOL

28 Oct 2010     

ballycastle1
United Kingdom

There are vacancies for commis chefs frequently advertised in the press. He/she may well prepare the vegetables, if this is the area of food preparation he is assigned to, but he could equally be preparing food in the pastry section (called a �station �).  In large restaurants, there are several stations, each dealing with a particular area of food  preparation and each may have a commis chef (or as other members have indicated, an apprentice or low-ranking chef) working under the chef de partie or section head.

28 Oct 2010     

Akanah
Spain

Hi, try this http://www.mailxmail.com/curso-arte-ciencia-culinaria/cocina-clasica-moderna

A cada jefe de partida se le asignaba un "Commis" o ayudante. Lo normal era que hubiese el "Premier commis" o cocinero de partida, el "Deuxieme commis" o ayudante del cocinero y el "Troisieme commis" o asistente del ayudante del cocinero.

Olga

28 Oct 2010     

edrodmedina
United States

What �s the difference between commis and sous chef?

28 Oct 2010     

Mariethe House
France

As far as I know, in French cuisine there is no "sous chef" . This term applies to other fields but not �cuisine �  For example in the Army there are chefs (those who are in command and sous chef who obey the chef and have themselves some responsabilities)
In the field of cuisine, it could be a �chef en second �Thinking

28 Oct 2010     

silviamontra
Spain

Thank you all for your answers. In moments like this is when I know why I love this website.

Have a good day tomorrow.

Hugs from Spain 

28 Oct 2010     

1    2    Next >