Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > What ´s its name?    

What ´s its name?

Nizarsouth
Tunisia

What ´s its name?

please i want to know the name of the place where lonely old people go and live and are taken care of.Is it an elderly house, nursing home or something else? thanks in advance.

28 Oct 2010      

roshin2810
India

old age home

28 Oct 2010     

kodora
Greece

old people �s home or nursing home

28 Oct 2010     

sulekra
Australia

It can be a nursing home, or a retirement home/village/community.

Or even a hospice maybe;) [In poor taste, I know, sorry for any offense]

I �m sure not all of the people who live in these are lonely though, sometimes the kids have had enough of them or can �t provide the care, and some of the places can be really nice and a step up for them, especially the fancy retirement villages, much better conditions and lifestyle than what I �m in;)

28 Oct 2010     

yanogator
United States

Political correctness has eliminated the name "old people �s home" now, although that was a common name in the past.

It �s a nursing home if the residents require care, or a retirement home/village/community if they don �t, as sulekra said.

Bruce

28 Oct 2010     

ballycastle1
United Kingdom

In the UK, the options are a nursing home if the residents require nursing care, or a residential home if they need help with personal care but not nursing care.  Elderly people who are largely self-sufficient may live in retirement villages/communities.  

28 Oct 2010     

Nizarsouth
Tunisia

Thanks a lot :)

29 Oct 2010     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

Hi
Here, where I live, there is also another possibily.
Not sure what native people may call it, but I will translate it as " day care center ". This means old or  less capable people can stay all day long in a care center, but they can return home for dinner and sleep. This is quite usual here, many people don �t have the time to take care of the older members of the family, because they work, sometimes they work far, they have long distances between their jobs and their homes, and these older people can �t stay at home alone, because they have some sort of problems.
So, we can have our older members in a day care center, the part of the day we are out and unavailable, but they return home to have dinner with the family and sleep at home.
If anyone can give a better translation,I would like to know it, this is something difficult to find in a dictionary, it depends on the way  social cares are taken and provided.
Just my 2 cents
Have a nice .... night / dawn

Linda

29 Oct 2010