Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > "Word of the Day"    

"Word of the Day"

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

"Word of the Day"

�Clapperdudgeon�

I arrive home, to discover that I�ve won �Word of the Day�.  Thank you, very much indeed!

�Clapperdudgeon� is the �Word�, for the remainder of Thursday and all of Friday.

What do you think that it means?

Try to define its meaning in the wittiest, most comical, or most stupid way.  If you know what it means, don�t tell us, please, but give us a silly definition of it, instead.

Remember, NO INTERNET, NO DICTIONARY DEFINITIONS � just ideas from your head!

Here are the previous submissions.

http://www.eslprintables.com/forum/topic.asp?id=23761

The Member announced with the best definition WILL CHOOSE SATURDAY�S WORD.  (If you don�t want to choose a Word, let the Forum know, please.)

The Winner will be announced on Friday, at Midnight, Spanish Time.

The  ï¿½Word� is �CLAPPERDUDGEON�.

Good Luck!

Les

28 Oct 2010      

franknbea
United Kingdom

Hoo!Hoo!
I think I know this one!

Clapper= short for clapperboard
Dudgeon=mis-spelling of Dungeon

CLAPPERDUNGEON= The place where they put Melissa Wilkes after she Mis-pronounced
"Grand-Prix" as  "Grand-Pricks" on Live Saturday morning children �s TV.

28 Oct 2010     

cauffeepot
Benin

the room they make you stay in after you �ve caught a "social disease".  Where people with really lousy seats in an auditorium applaud at the end of the show?

29 Oct 2010     

Laly59
Spain

My definition:

Clap, to produce sounds with the hands
per=for
dudgeon= like dungeon, for that

clapperdudgeon= who claps for to be inside a dungeonErmmEmbarrassed

29 Oct 2010     

Apodo
Australia

A clapper is the part of a bell that moves inside to make the noise.
High dudgeon is a feeling of anger, being indignant.

clapperdudgeon is what a campanologist feels when the bell ringing practice goes wrong, there are wrong notes, but it isn �t his fault.

29 Oct 2010     

arlissa
United States

Clapper - a musical instrument that operates by the quick clapping of two pieces of wood together
Dud - something that doesn �t work
Geon - An alternative spelling of the proper name "John"

So therefore, clapperdudgeon is a non-working musical instrument made by John...possibly the childish makings of a young John Dopyera, whose other musical inventions led to the invention of the electrical guitar.

29 Oct 2010     

David Lisgo
Japan

It is a mathematical term which is used to refer to silent thunder, a very rare phenomenon, which occurs only a small number of times in any geological period. Mathematicians have estimated that only 17 clapperdudgeons occured during the whole of the Jurassic period. How they worked that out, I have no idea but then I am just an English teacher, which means I can tell you more about why it is called a "clapperdudgeon" in the first place.

clap: a clap of thunder
per: every
dud: something that fails to explode
g: geological
eon: a long period of time 

29 Oct 2010