Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Funny Gestures Video (or Video Clips)?    

Funny Gestures Video (or Video Clips)?

debk2000
United States

Funny Gestures Video (or Video Clips)?

Hi everyone!

(I posted this yesterday but only got one response so I hope you don �t mind if I try again).  I am working on a lesson dealing with hand gestures (General Gestures) and I wanted to show a funny video or short video clips to my students.  I have googled the internet and searched youtube, but I couldn �t find anything yet that is really appropriate for a school situation.  (I should mention I saw a few youtube videos just demonstrating the gestures, but I was hoping to find something more entertaining for the students!)

Does anyone happen to know of any funny gesture videos?  Or maybe some clips from a TV show or movie that could demonstrate them?  I would be most grateful for any help you could offer!

Thank you,

Deborah :)

29 Oct 2010      

Laura-Jane
Japan

This may not be what you are after but what about Mr bean?

He doesn`t really talk so rely on gestures to get his point across.

It`s really silly and funny and my students love it when I show them a clip!

29 Oct 2010     

debk2000
United States

Laura-Jane,

Thanks for the idea!  Another user suggested Mr. Bean as well.  I �ve  used some of the videos before, but I �m trying to check through them again now.

Thanks again!

29 Oct 2010     

MarionG
Netherlands

I don �t know the age of your students nor the level but I think Johann Lippowitz is amazing!
He mimes the lyrics to many different songs. He litterally has a gesture for every word used, simply amazing. You need English of a fairly high level to get all of them. (but you can enjoy and get the idea also with more basic English) Again, I think he�s amazing. Any of you working with older/more advance students might want to challenge them to prepare something similar!!
Here is a link to his rendition of "Torn", and "Where I lay my hat is my home" , there are many of his video on Youtube (they should show up next to the links in the related videos) You can see if there something is appropriate for your purposes....

29 Oct 2010     

debk2000
United States

Marion,

Thank you so much for the idea!  I guess I should have mentioned this is for middle school students of mixed level (beginner-high intermediate).  But I �m going to check out the videos you mentioned and see if something could work for them.  Anyway, I really appreciate your idea.

Thank you and have a great weekend!

29 Oct 2010