Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Teaching material > Need for a lesson starter    

Need for a lesson starter

lua jzr
Tunisia

Need for a lesson starter

Please, I need an activity or a game to test �intelligence �. I �m going to teach a lesson next week entitled "Are we all intelligent �. The problem is I �m running out of ideas since I �ve 4 tests to prepare. I thought of a questionnaire but there �s already one on sts � book at the middle of the lesson. I need help before Monday. THX IN ADVANCE AND GOD BLESS YOU ALL. PEACE

29 Oct 2010      

puddyd
Oman

Does it have to be about intelligence, because I have something about left and right brain use???
Would you like that?
 I�ll just add to this post , because when I looked for it I saw it came from here, so here�s the link just click and check it out

Good luck
;o)

29 Oct 2010     

puddyd
Oman

Give them this as a warmer

Read This Brainteaser ... bet you CAN �T or can you....!

The phaonmneel pweor of the hmuan mnid: I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. Aoccdrnig to a rscheearcr at Cmagbride Uinervtisy, it deosn �t mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers of a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae.The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh?

29 Oct 2010     

nasnous
Tunisia

Hi,

Iprepared a quetionnaire to start with ,for this lasson ,in which pps first tick the statements that apply with each one of them,then answer short answers to these questions and finally they they match each set of questions with the appropriate type of intelligence.This activity helped me introduce the lesson, talk a bit about short answers and also introduce the types of intelligences that we will need later on during the lesson. I �ll try to send you the sheet today if you want ,I hope it would be useful for you.
By the way me too I �m trying to prepare 4 tests for monday.God help us. 

29 Oct 2010     

Apodo
Australia

An idea:

Show an interesting short video of eg:
animal intelligence
gifted people
savants

Ask students to jot down the most important points, parts they liked etc.
Discuss some of these points.

29 Oct 2010     

puddyd
Oman

http://www.eslprintables.com/powerpoint.asp?id=5809#thetop
Here �s a fun powerpoint too.

29 Oct 2010     

edrodmedina
United States

Try this IQ test as an ice breaker:
1. How do you put a giraffe into a refrigerator?

Stop and think about it and decide on your answer before you scroll down

The correct answer is: Open the refrigerator, put in the giraffe, and close the door. This question tests whether you tend to do simple things in an overly complicated way.

2 How do you put an elephant into a refrigerator?

Did you say, Open the refrigerator, put in the elephant, and close the refrigerator?

Wrong Answer.

Correct Answer: Open the refrigerator, take out the giraffe, put in the elephant and close the door. This tests your ability to think through the repercussions of your previous actions.

3. The Lion King is hosting an animal conference. All the animals
Attend .... Except one. Which animal does not attend?

Correct Answer : The Elephant. The elephant is in the refrigerator. You just put him in there.? This tests your memory. Okay, even if you did not answer the first three questions correctly, you still have one more chance to show your true abilities.

4. There is a river you must cross but it is used by crocodiles, and you do not have a boat. How do you manage it?

Correct Answer:? You jump into the river and swim across. Have you not been listening? All the crocodiles are attending the Animal Meeting. This tests whether you learn quickly from your mistakes.

According to Anderson Consulting Worldwide, around 90% of the
Professionals they tested got all questions wrong, but many preschoolers got several correct answers. Anderson Consulting says this conclusively disproves the theory that most professionals have the brains of a four-year-old.

29 Oct 2010     

lua jzr
Tunisia

I �m so pleased with all your replies! You really made my day. I �m infinitely grateful to all of you. GOD BLESS YOU dear colleagues.

29 Oct 2010     

Friedfam
Israel

That �s priceless!

29 Oct 2010     

nadin235
Russian Federation

15 Dec 2012