Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > HELP needed for a project    

HELP needed for a project

navarrovizcaino
Spain

HELP needed for a project

Hi everyone and hope you are having a great day so far.

I have a problem, this year I �m teaching a subject called Project, in secondary (Proyecto integrado) I �m thinking about doing something called Around the world in 80 Days. It �s a sort of world gymkhana where students need to plan, in groups of 5, a trip around the world visiting different countries and doing specific tasks. My students loved the idea, the problem is that so far.. it �s just an idea as I haven �t been able to make it real. I mean, i HAVE NO IDEA how to develop the project,have you heard of anything similar??  the purpose of the subject is to develop reseaching skills, the problem is that the subject is in English and if I tell them just to travel to different countries and find economic, historical, etc information about them, they will just copy and paste everything from Wikipedia.. as they usually do with all the projects. thats why I �m thinking about this gymkhana so they have to answer specific questions or find specific info.

thanks A LOT  for your future help!! and have a wonderful weekend!

ps:If you have done something similar with your class, please let me know!!

29 Oct 2010      

edrodmedina
United States

What you propose sounds good. Why don �t you call it a country scavenger hunt? You have certain things you want your ss to get or look for for each country.

29 Oct 2010     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Navarrovizcaino,

The idea of "A Country Scavenger Hunt" suggested by Edrodmedina sounds good to me!

I suggest that you choose items to which there could be several different answers.  Here are some suggestions, to which there is no correct answer.  Choose whichever suit you.

1) Give the recipe for the favourite Dish of that country, with all the ingredients and the cooking method.
2) Give the plot (story) of the most recent Film shown in that country.
3) Give the name of the favourite Holiday place in that country, describing a typical holiday of one week for a family.
4) Give the name of the most popular Festival of that country, describing it in detail.
5) Give the title and opening words of the most popular Song of that country.
6) Give the title of the favourite Children �s Book of that country, and a short description of it.
7) Give the name of the most famous Monument of that country, and describe it.
8) Give the name of the most popular TV Actor of that country, describing his/her act.
9) Give the words of a popular Proverb of that country, and what this proverb means.
10) Give the name of the most popular Dance of that country, and describe the movements.

I hope that this helps.

Les

29 Oct 2010     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Navarrovizcaino,

If you wanted something easier for your "Country Scavenger Hunt", you could ask for:

1) A picture of the President; King/Queen; or Prime Minister; of that country.
2) A picture of the Currency of that country.
3) The logo of the principal TV Station of that country.
4) A picture of the highest Mountain of that country.
5) A picture of the best-known Market of that country.
6) A picture of the most-famous Footballer of that country.
7) A picture of the Parliament of that country.
8) A picture of the most common Fruit of that country.
9) A short sound-track of the National Anthem of that country.
10) A 2-minute Video �travelogue � of that country.

I hope that this helps.

Les

29 Oct 2010     

Zora
Canada

Hi there,

I know about the copy and paste method. I would make each and every question very precise, then you also state that they need to "Answer in less than ....(num.) .... words" each point.

Example:

What symbol appears on the Canadian flag. (2-3 words) - Maple leaf/the Maple leaf.

What famous pirate lived in the Bahamas? Blackbeard

Make it so they have to do MORE by doing LESS... in other words, they are only looking for the important points and nothing else...  

Hope that helps,

Linda

29 Oct 2010     

lizsantiago
Puerto Rico

i made something similar in which my students had to make a travel brochure like those in travel agency and make it with pictures and info about the country.  i assigned  a different country to each group. but i was gonna suggest you to make smaller groups. when you work projects like that with too many in the group, just one or two in the group tend to work and the other just take a ride.

29 Oct 2010     

navarrovizcaino
Spain

thankssssssssssss a lot guys!!! I try to upload the project somehow just in case someone wants to do it!!

2 Nov 2010