Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Peer grading    

Peer grading

carinita
Argentina

Peer grading

Hey, everyone!
I �ve never asked my students to evaluate their peer �s quizzes but there �s a first time for everything!!
I don �t think students are used to this type of evaluation but authorities at school have suggested that we -teachers- should innovate (resorting to sthg different from traditional tests)
What should I explain about peer evaluation before evaluation takes place? Which are the rules that should be respected?
Looking forward to reading your answers,
Carina
P.S No answer!! There are 2 posiblities 1) Nobody has enough time to answer back 2) Nobody uses this technique of evaluation Shocked

30 Oct 2010      

foose1
United States

I remember as a kid going to school and college, teachers having us grade other students tests.  After the students have completed the test, each student swaps the test with the student next to them.  The teacher goes over the exam and the students mark each question with a check mark or an x.  They can also put the score on the paper.  After the grading is over, the students give the test back to the student they got it from.  Give all the students some time to examine their booboos and then have the students hand in the tests to you.  It saves the teacher from spending valuable time in grading all the papers and also helps the students understand what the correct answer should be.

30 Oct 2010     

nombasa
South Africa

Peer evaluation is use quite frequently in many situations but mostly for oral tests and reading etc.  It can be of great benefit: 1. it means that shile learners are �performing � the others remain active learners rather than switching off. 2. if we are active learners then we can learn from the successes and failures of others.  3. it can cut down the amount of assessing that a teacher needs to do.  There are however a few dissadvantages.  1.  Learners must be given strict guidelines and crib sheets otherwise it can become personal.  2. Learners comments should be relayed to the other students anonimously.  3.  Always make sure that comments are balanced between possitive and how they could do better.

I always say to learners that we must feel secure in such situations knowing that any critisism is constructive.  That we can only make a critical judgement if we can show what steps could be taken to build the other student up. 

I also get the students to grade each other on an even score sheet ie. 1-4 or 1-6.  Otherwise you will often get people going for the middle number which means that they haven �t really thought through the situation.

If you let me know what type of peer review you are thinking of, then I can give you an appropriate crib sheet.  If you like you can pm me.

Enjoy your day

Jenny (Nombasa)

30 Oct 2010     

izulia
China

Peer evaluation is now considered as a powerful tool in classroom teaching as it gives students more responsibility for their learning. Here are just some ideas I got from a very experienced teacher who taught 11-12 year olds in our school:

1. Self/Peer evaluation of written work, like essays, reports, narratives, etc. Go with the class over the criteria of poor, good and very good work, e.g. punctuation, spelling, paragraphing, neatness, etc. The criteria should be written clearly in a child friendly manner and displayed for everybody to see as a reference. Refer to it often yourself when you talk about particular pieces of students � work. Then every so often (e.g. once a week) ask students to evaluate their classmates � writing. After they finish they have to explain why they gave certain marks according to the criteria.

2. To check students � ability to read and spell the most common words in English (in British Curriculum they are reffered to as High Frequency Words).  Each student has a weekly list of HFW. In pairs one student reads the words, the other student has to spell it orally. Then they swap roles. All the misspelled words are be checked the following day. This only takes about 5 minutes but everybody in class gets to practice reading and spelling HFW. Also kids love this activity.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you know some other techniques.

Good luck!  :)

30 Oct 2010     

almaz
United Kingdom

Years ago, when I worked in mainstream, we had an Inset on formative assessment with researchers who had worked on the �Inside the Black Box � project. You might be interested in their conclusions on self- and peer-assessment (see their short Final Draft here)

30 Oct 2010     

carinita
Argentina

Thanks a million to all! Almaz, that paper is really interesting!

30 Oct 2010