Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Evaluation    

Evaluation

zandika
Brazil

Evaluation

Hi, everybody.
I teach in a private school in Brazil and I�m feeling terrible. We�re almost in the end of the year and as usual, some students will fail. But�I�m not sure if the fact that parents pay for their kids study in a private institution make them feel in the right to charge us to make as many evaluation as possible for their kids not fail. And worst, my institution makes us do exactly this: give as many chances as they need to get the average grade! Is it normal? `Cause I�ve been correcting extra activities for almost 2 weeks and I can�t see any progress in their learning!!

30 Oct 2010      

mary-butterfly
Brazil

Zandika.I have the same problem as you.I teach in 3 private schools and I have to create materials to help the students get a good grade and give as many chances as they need.It �s not their fault it,s mine, do you believe it? I �m felling terrible and sad with it.
They don �t study anymore..

30 Oct 2010     

carinita
Argentina

Hi, Zandika
I work in a state school in Argentina and I completely understand you Students � failure is a bit MY failure I �m about to give it a try to peer assessment or "team" tests
In my school, they say we should vary the way we evaluate...That doesn �t mean to lower the standards Think about it Smile 
If there �s anything I can do for you, I will.
Regards,
Carina

30 Oct 2010     

zandika
Brazil

Hi Carina
That�s exactly the point: I�ve tried tests where they can  take a look on their books, in pairs, using the dictionary, choosing 6 questions in 10 and write about them. But it�s a huge work. Imagine 8  classes each with 25 students dealing the same way: chances, chances and more chances. I think I�m helping to create mediocre students. Is there anyway I follow my school rules without getting crazy? Remembering that teachers here have to look again the peer corrections students do each other in order to be "fair" and avoid cheating.

30 Oct 2010     

carinita
Argentina

Well, all I can say is "I am with you" and let all flow If you have done all that is humanly possible as it seems...it is not YOU it is THEM
What a career we have picked!!!

30 Oct 2010     

carinita
Argentina

Prayer for teachers

Lord, thank you for teachers that have:

Wisdom: to teach principles as well as facts;

Courage: to stand firm when challenged by parent or child;

Persistence: to teach again and again, and then again;

Vision: to know that results will show far down the years;

Love: for the unlovable as well as the lovely child;

Patience, Lord, pacient, forever and unending;

I can �t provide the source I found it on the Internet

30 Oct 2010     

mary-butterfly
Brazil

Carinita,I loved the poem , it �s true..

30 Oct 2010