Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > A future tense question:    

A future tense question:

margax
Spain

A future tense question:

- By this time next week I �ll have decorated our house. It will look like new.
 - By this time next week I �ll be decorating our house. It will look like new.

To me both sentences sound correct but one of my colleagues told me that only the first one is. I wonder if a native speaker or somebody could help me in this. Thanks in advance.

31 Oct 2010      

yanogator
United States

Both are correct, and the choice depends on whether you �ll be finished by this time next week. If so, then use the first sentence. If you will have started, but not finished, use the second sentence.

Bruce

31 Oct 2010     

kodora
Greece

- By this time next week I �ll have decorated our house. It will look like new=I will have finished doing it
 - This time next week I �ll be decorating our house. It will look like new when it is finished.=I will still be decorating it.
Dora

31 Oct 2010     

margax
Spain

Thanks a lot for your help!!

31 Oct 2010     

mourad1O
Morocco

Both are correct but the context will be decisive which one is appropriate.
That �s why there has been a change from teaching grammatical rules outside the context to more focus on situations.

31 Oct 2010     

abdel
Morocco

- By this time next week I �ll have decorated our house. It will look like new=I will have finished doing it
 - This time next week I �ll be decorating our house. It will look like new when it is finished.=I will still be decorating it.
THIS IS WHAT KODORA SAID AND I AGREE BUT LOOK/
ONLY THE FIRST SENTENCE IS CORRECT SINCE YOU HAVE AFTER : it will look like new. the action, therefore, will have finished. we have the result of the houses �s being like new. However, the second is not correct in this context since i will still be decorating the house. The fruit will not yet be there.
love ABDEL.

31 Oct 2010     

abdel
Morocco

THIS IS WHAT KODORA SAID AND I AGREE BUT LOOK:
ONLY THE FIRST SENTENCE IS CORRECT SINCE YOU HAVE AFTER : it will look like new. the action, therefore, will have finished. we have the result of the house �s being like new. However, the second is not correct in this context since i will still be decorating the house. The fruit will not yet be there.
love ABDEL.

31 Oct 2010