Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > A little help from my friends?    

A little help from my friends?

SueThom
United States

A little help from my friends?

I have a minor problem when I create worksheets of flashcards and we have such a wealth of skilled teachers here that I �m hoping someone out there can tell me how to fix it. (And since it may make a difference, I have old computers--OK, ancient! LOL --which use ME and XP and an older version of MS Word.)

I usually start with a table in Word, since it �s easy to make lines for cutting up the flashcards. However, when I put pictures in them, sometimes the pictures stay put and sometimes they "jump" out of their little boxes. Usually I can just stick them back where they �re supposed to go, but then when I upload the document, occasionally one appears to have snuck out of its box once again.

This happened again today when I just uploaded a document, but then--to really confuse me--when I downloaded it to check on it, the sneaky little clipart was back in its box again! However, I wonder if others who download the document will have problems with the little cliparts wandering around where they don �t belong. How do I get the #$%@ little things to stay put?

I tried to "group" them, as I sometimes do with other clipart, but the computer won �t allow me to do that (I suppose because I �m working in a table).

I �d be grateful for any suggestions.

Sue

1 Nov 2010      

edrodmedina
United States

Check text wrapping once you place your pic where you want it and choose an option such as behind the text, in front of the text, to move the pic to fine tune where you want it. You might want to group the picture outside the table then copy and paste or using the text wrapping options move it to where u want it.

1 Nov 2010     

martinasvabova
Czech Republic

I think it is better to use auto shapes instead of a table.

1 Nov 2010     

SueThom
United States

Ed, I did use text wrapping, but I didn �t think about grouping them first and then superimposing the lines on top of them.

And, Martina, I �ve never used the autoshapes for flashcards, but I �m sure willing to give it a try.

Thank you both!

1 Nov 2010     

edrodmedina
United States

Yep auto shape then use the fill option to imbed the pic into the shape is another way to go. You can make it any shape u want.

1 Nov 2010     

libertybelle
United States

And when you �ve made a shape with auto shape - inserted your pictures - checked in front of, which makes them easier to move around - then you can group them all together. (the auto shape and the image. Then they stick together!

French Frog has written a great worksheet on doing just that.
You can find lots of tutorials here:

http://www.eslprintables.com/buscador/tutorials.asp

good luck

1 Nov 2010     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

Hi

Today is my day to follow and agree with our LB.

I am posting this link, because, for me, LB �s link is not working, I �m having some problems with my net,
This link leads you tho that wonderful, fantastic tutorial Laurence has offered us, some time ago

Good luck

http://www.eslprintables.com/printable.asp?id=66440#thetop

Linda

2 Nov 2010     

SueThom
United States

I just knew I �d get some great assistance--thank you all!

Sue

2 Nov 2010