Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Fruit or Fruits?    

Fruit or Fruits?

izulia
China

Fruit or Fruits?

Hello dear teachers,
I need your help, which sentence is correct?
I bought lots of fruits.
or
I bought lots of fruit.
or are both sentences correct?
I remember reading somewhere that the word �fruit � can be used when we talk about lots of fruits, but I am not quite sure. So which one is correct?
Thank you very much!

2 Nov 2010      

Kike L.S.
Peru

The second one is correct since you are referring to the general category. You use the word fruit as countable noun when you refer to an individual piece of fruit; for example: A bana is a fruit.

2 Nov 2010     

izulia
China

Thank you for your explanation, but could you please give me an example when the word �fruit � can be used in plural as a countable noun?
Thank you

2 Nov 2010     

Hazza
Australia

THere is plenty of fruit on the table!

2 Nov 2010     

PhilipR
Thailand

Fruit - plural fruit (U) or fruits (C)

"Fruits" - specifically referring to different kinds of fruits
"Fruit" - referring to fruit in general

You can use both in your example, although lots of fruit is probably more common..

2 Nov 2010     

sulekra
Australia

Two examples to back up Phillip �s examplation:)

There were lots of fruits on the table. I could name about 15 types, but there were some I had never seen before!

There was lots of fruit on the table. They must have bought at least 25kgs of it!

2 Nov 2010     

Vickiii
New Zealand

The fruits of my labour is the only time I can think of when you would use the word fruits.

Fruit is plural for fruit just like sheep is plural for sheep.

I don�t think the above examples are correct - It doesn�t matter how many different types of fruit is on the table - I would still use the word fruit. 

Of course I can be wrong...

2 Nov 2010     

Apodo
Australia

I would use FRUIT on almost every occasion...EXCEPT if I want to talk about types of fruit:

There are some FRUITS I like more than others.

2 Nov 2010     

douglas
United States

I ate a lot of fruit yesterday.

I ate five different fruits: mangoes, kiwis, bananas, oranges, and pineapples.

2 Nov 2010     

67Englishteacher
France

I �ve often wondered: if you made a pictionary, would you rather entitle it "fruit and vegetables" or "fruits and vegetables"? I suppose both are correct, but which sounds more natural?

2 Nov 2010     

jpricejg
United Kingdom

Both are technically correct but "fruit and vegetables," would sound more natural to a native speaker.

2 Nov 2010     

1    2    Next >