Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Like?    

Like?

Pietro
United States

Like?

Hello!

I would be very grateful to you if you express your ideas of the following thing:

What is the syntactic function of the word "like" and what part of speech is it in the following sentence:

"It looks like raining."

And, what is thus the function of the gerund following this "like"?

Thanks in advance!

Alexey

4 Dec 2008      

Zora
Canada

First of all, the sentence "It looks like raining" is incorrect. It should be "It looks like rain."

Second, like - has many functions... noun, verb, preposition, adverb, adjective, conjunction...

Here I believe it�s being used as a preposition...  

4 Dec 2008     

Vickiii
New Zealand

The meaning of the sentence is �there are clouds in the sky, so I think it will rain soon�
In context:

S1:  "Do you think it will be sunny today?"
S2:  "No. It looks like rain to me."

4 Dec 2008     

goodnesses
Algeria

Hi ,Zora - f
Canada

I agree with you. You confirmed my doubt. The sentence, as it is, is not  correct.

4 Dec 2008     

Pietro
United States

Well, I see your point, though I�m not convinced yet, as it was my university tutor who said this phrase.

Nonetheless, it�s not the case. Let is be "It looks like rain". Could you please help me and state the function of the word in the sentence and its part of speech. I�m very confused about it, though I�ve got some ideas.

4 Dec 2008     

Pietro
United States

And another sentence has struck me: "I don�t feel like reading today".

4 Dec 2008     

Vickiii
New Zealand

Well Pietro, You could say "It looks like it maybe raining later".  Otherwise honestly please be convinced.  2 native english speakers from different hemispheres and a teacher with an excellent grasp of grammar (I always thought that goodnesses had english as a first language!) - heres hoping we are not wrong!
As to the Grammar points.....cough cough, erm..... Goodnesses, Zora??!! it looks like a nouny adjectivey verby like thing to me!

4 Dec 2008     

Zora
Canada

Hey vickii... I consulted my trusty on line dictionary to make sure (too lazy to pull out books) ... I believe it�s preposition:

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/like%5B4%5D

4 Dec 2008     

Pietro
United States

Well, but it�s possible to add smth like "more", as "It lookes more like rain than snow", isn�t it?

4 Dec 2008     

libertybelle
United States

Hey Pietro

If you know all the answers, why are you asking?

The experts here have said that the sentence is wrong.
And it IS wrong -like it or not.

You are being extremely rude to these
kind, caring and helpful teachers here at the forum.
If you know all the answers - don�t ask.
L

4 Dec 2008     

goodnesses
Algeria

Pietro

"I don�t feel like reading today" means "I am not interested in reading/don�t have the desire to read today and I am not planning to do it."

"feel" and "like" go together in this context. (it is a phrasal verb)

4 Dec 2008     

1    2    3    4    Next >