Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Essay Writing: What is the Language?    

Essay Writing: What is the Language?

Vanara
Cambodia

Essay Writing: What is the Language?

Hi, everyone

I �m going to write an essay for my Linguistic course at the university which topic about what the language is. Therefore, can anyone here give me some idea how to start and what to write about the language? or suggest me some resources or website links related to that topic. Thank in advance and I �m looking forward to seeing your response.

5 Nov 2010      

yanogator
United States

Hi,
I can �t help you much, but I think your topic is "language", rather than "the language". In English, if you say "the language", you are referring to a specific language, such as English or Cambodian.

I hope you have a great essay,
Bruce

5 Nov 2010     

...Alena...
Russian Federation

Hello,

try and find Edward Sepir �s works, he worked on this theme.�

Besides, I remember having read a book - it seems to me it was Thinking and speech. L. Vygotsky - �Vygotsky explores if the way animals communicate can be defined as language.

Hope it helps.Hugs.

Helen.

5 Nov 2010     

MoodyMoody
United States

And no paper on language is complete without a reference to de Saussure �s Course in General Linguistics.

5 Nov 2010