Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > English Festival for secondary level    

English Festival for secondary level

harelyta
Peru

English Festival for secondary level

Hi there!
Please I need your help once again. I don�t know what to do with teenagers from secondary level of course, because my english festival is coming at school
I was thinking about what to do but I cant find an interesting idea, I thought about songs but the problem is that the presentation must be individual because the principals only give a prize for each class so the winner is only one ss. What can I do? What about you school what do you do- teenagers are usually shy to participate
Regards and good luck
Thanks in advance for your wonderful answers
Harelyta from Peru

6 Nov 2010      

ueslteacher
Ukraine

You could turn it into a song contest between individual students. They could find their favourite songs on youtube and perform for the student audience and a jury of teachers. Some teachers in my country do it as the end of semester activity when all the material in the texbook has been covered.
Or you could have a contest of individual ppt projects.
Sophia

6 Nov 2010     

harelyta
Peru

thanks ueslteacher
please Can you send me more information about the song contest, some instruction I mean
Thanks a brunch for your help

6 Nov 2010     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

I �ve never done it myself. I thought I could just give you an idea. I know there are lots of songs with lyrics on youtube, there are also melodies for famous songs without words. So your ss could choose a song they like, check it with you for the lyrics being appropriate and then practice at home, and perform it to the music during the contest. The jury could have a chart where they would evaluate each contestant �s performance giving them points for pronunciation acuracy, charm, costume, etc. whatever you can think of. Let your imagination sore...
Sophia

6 Nov 2010     

SueThom
United States

There are certainly some teenagers (and adults) who are willing to perform individually for an audience--indeed a few who really enjoy it--but that is not usually the majority.  You may well get better participation and a better learning experience if you allow them to choose whether they compete as individuals or in a small group. 

Heck, even if they voted to compete as a whole class group, what would that matter?  What �s the prize--a trophy?  Candy?  Recognition at an event?  I would think most prizes could be shared among several students.

And if  students work together, in addition to providing them a sense of security and eliminating some of the shyness, it helps to develop a variety of important skills, such as negotiation (including how to most fairly share the prize), sharing responsibility, tolerance, etc.  Plus, if they have to do all or most of it in English, they get lots more authentic practice.

I�ve been to a number of fundraising "talent contests" in recent years.  A few people sing individually, but most do it in groups.  There have been some really good singing groups (some even with original numbers) and some hilarious karaoke-style renditions of the Supremes, the Beatles, Kiss, etc., complete with costumes, wigs, make-up, and so on.  Working in a group provides "safety in numbers" and encourages creativity, interaction, and participation.

Just a thought.

Sue

6 Nov 2010     

anitarobi
Croatia

I also prefer group activities for such things - especially plays or musicals... But if it can �t be helped, why not have them hold presentations about an English speaking country (its geography, history, culture, etc.) - they can make posters, ppts if possible, even prepare quizzes for the audience... or a presentation about a famous representative of culture from the English speaking world...

6 Nov 2010