Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > textbooks....    

textbooks....

roneydirt
United States

textbooks....

with the different business meetings I have had I find it interesting on the questions posted about odd and end things on different textbooks.  They all seem to have some major college or publisher �s name on them but find that many go cheap and buy local printings on them with many mistakes.  Does anyone else see this?  The worst part is the mistakes I find in these textbooks.  In some places I have been it is even worst because the popular belief is "If it is in print it must be true..."

7 Nov 2010      

elderberrywine
Germany

oh my, you �re really hung up about mistakes, aren �t you?
check your private messages, roney

7 Nov 2010     

lshorton99
China

As you appear to be on a mission I suggest the following:

1. Buy a copy of as many different textbooks as you can.
2. Spend your free time going through them and circle and/or underline the mistakes (perhaps you could use a key depending on the type of error).
3. Write to each publisher pointing out the errors.
4. If you don �t get a response, you might try looking for ways of contacting the author directly.
5. Wait for the reprinted editions to come out and reap the benefits of your hard work.
6. Alternatively, should they not have corrected the errors you pointed out, repeat the process again.

Hope this helps.

Lindsey

7 Nov 2010     

roneydirt
United States

elderberrywine replied to yours... 

Lindsey on the mistakes in some of the books was laughed at even when I provided legitimate writings from the original writers they had quoted.  I was even quoted in one textbook and showed they incorrectly quoted my own quote and it was from a teaching video to book quote.  My biggest problem is I don �t fit in with the in crowd.  Even been kicked out of a TEFL meeting when I showed the key speaker was using material from a second hand source improperly.  He was teaching how to teach Chinese students in Korea in 2009 even though he never actually taught Chinese students and his whole thesis was based on his intern on a student who before coming to his college had lived in an English speaking country for 5 years.

7 Nov 2010     

zailda
Brazil

Correcting or pointing out other people�s mistakes is an interesting crusade, but even correction needs some techniques to be done properly. I mean, mastering the language is not enough to start correcting and there are some procedures to be followed, or people will think you�re merely criticizing (no benefit from it then) and nobody likes to be criticized, as you might know.

I personally correct people�s mistakes only if they pay me in advance to.

They�ll only get some benefit from it if some explanation + options are presented, or it�ll be useless.

7 Nov 2010