Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Concerning worksheets > which font do you use for phonetics?    

which font do you use for phonetics?

-eva
Spain

which font do you use for phonetics?

Dear colleagues,
Which font do you use so that your phonetic transcriptions look like "real phonetics" in our previews and not like unreadable symbols nobody would understand? (I use "Ipa-samd Uclphon").
That �s what has just happened to one of my wss, and it make me feels terrible after all that work!, I didn �t realise last night, I just checked the layout was okay; I �m sure more than one person was put off straightaway!!
Thanks a lot in advance.
Hugs,
Eva

7 Nov 2010      

t.gyorgyi
Hungary

Hi,

I used LATIN SMALL LETTER from the symbols of MS Word. I could only see squares instead of some symbols in the preview of my ws but after downloading I could see the proper ones.

Hugs,
Gy�rgyi

7 Nov 2010     

isa2
Austria

Hi,
I use IPAphon.

There is also a converter on the Internet: http://upodn.com/

Best regards

7 Nov 2010     

-eva
Spain

Thanks a million for your help!
Love,
Eva

7 Nov 2010     

baiba
Latvia

I have found a brilliant website which transcribes the whole text without any problems.

http://www.photransedit.com/Online/Text2Phonetics.aspx

7 Nov 2010     

blunderbuster
Germany

But Eva will still need the fonts installed on her computer to display what that site transcribes for her, providing she wants to past the transcription into a ws, right?

SILdoulos
SILmanuscript
SILsophia

7 Nov 2010     

baiba
Latvia

I guess the easiest way is to copy the transcript and save it as an image, right?

7 Nov 2010     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

I iether copy the transcription from an electronic dictionary like Baiba said (if I �m making a long vocabulary list for my ss) Otherwise if it �s just one word or sound I have a Phonetic TM font installed on my comp.
Sophia

7 Nov 2010     

-eva
Spain

Yes, I have some of those fonts installed in my computer, but our eslprintables system doesn �t seem to recognize any of them so far (haven �t tried any of the SILs yet), as the preview shows boxes or other non-phonetic characters.
As for the online editor/dictionary thing, Baiba dear, it �s exactly the same one I use, but I �ve been uploading printables and then deleting them -allowed limit is 3-;  and at least for me, the same thing happens, absolutely unreadable!
Has any of you really tried, did it work?
Thank you very much indeed for being there!! 
Eva

8 Nov 2010     

MoodyMoody
United States

Oddly enough, for my phonetics story, I used Times New Roman. There �s an extended set that contains many of the symbols I used (and one I didn �t): /e/, /�/, /α/, /ə/, /L/, and /ŋ/. Just Insert Symbol. For others, you might use small capitals from the Font menu. 

8 Nov 2010     

blunderbuster
Germany

No, the system doesn �t recoginze these fonts

8 Nov 2010