Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Looking for Games    

Looking for Games

Disappointed
United Kingdom

Looking for Games

Hi everyone,

I usually teach teenagers or adults but have been asked to teach a group of ten-year old kids for 2 months.  The lessons are 3 hours long each, so I want to try and incorporate some songs and games into these to make them more fun and interesting. 

Does anyone know of some good games worth doing with this level of student or perhaps some websites I could check out that might prove of help.

Thanks in advance!

8 Nov 2010      

cheezels
New Zealand

I don �t envy you having to teach a group of 10 year olds for 3 hours at a time! Is there any possibility of doing two sessions of an hour and a half instead? Do you get a short break halfway?

Keeping  the attention and motivation going for a stretch like that is going to be a challenge to say the least. No school subject goes for that long either!

For songs, check out YouTube. I download songs from there (but for my younger ones) and we sing and often I have made a worksheet or activity to go with it. I am sure there will be suitable songs for the age of your students there. Once you have downloaded them they are saved to your laptop etc and can be played any time.

What is the main purpose for such a short yet intensive time frame? Playing games for the sake of it isn �t going to help if they need to be at a certain level for a certain purpose within a specific time. Games are great when they focus on a specific learning area and I use them but they generally go for around 20 mins max if there are 2-3 of us.

Depending on your purpose you could work on:
Writing a play and performing it
Writing fun poetry and recording it
Phonic games + spelling games
Reading (if you are reading a book to them about 15-20 mins per lesson with an activity on what you have just read straight after)
Various listening activities
Reading comprehension + activities that follow on that are more creative and allow independent work
Choose a theme and decide as a group what areas to research and present.

Good luck!

8 Nov 2010     

martinasvabova
Czech Republic

I have prepared a collection of games, all of them dealing with the topic of fruit and vegetables. However they can be used for every topic. If you are interested, I can send it to your e-mail.

8 Nov 2010     

juliag
Japan

Hi Charles,

Do you know the Genki English site? It has some great games for kids of around this age. to practice various grammatical structures and so on. Check it out.

I agree with cheezels, you definitely need a break half way through of 5-10 minutes to give the kids a chance to go to the loo, have a drink of water, stretch their legs and run around outside so they can burn off some of that excess energy.

I would also include a story time, my kids love simple story books that they can understand. How about getting them to act out the story afterwards, either themselves, using puppets, or on a feltboard (the latter takes quite a bit of preparation as you have to make all the relevant pieces).

Do you have picture flashcards for the language you want/have to teach? I know lots of fun games that are FC specific so if you want more ideas for those just send me a PM.

Do you have a strict syllabus to follow or can you incorporate some more refreshing activities to give the students a change of pace during that long 3 hours? For example you could teach them how to make an origami something in English, take them outside for them to find things and say in Eng. (I have a couple of prints to be used in this way), watch a Mr. Bean video and do a follow up that is suitable to their level and so on.

All from me at the moment but if I think of anything else I �ll let you know.
Good luck!

8 Nov 2010     

Disappointed
United Kingdom

A BIG thank you to everyone that took the time out to get back to me.  I really do appreciate all the assistance, guidance and help offered to me.

Blessings,

Charles

9 Nov 2010