Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > I feel desperate and bewilderd    

I feel desperate and bewilderd

Nizarsouth
Tunisia

I feel desperate and bewilderd

Hi colleagues! I feel desperate and bewildered every time I start correcting the tests of my students as I find out that some of them haven �t understood anything, and their levels are far from those of the brilliant ones. So, the class is divided into quick, brilliant and clever students, and slow, uninterested and often dazed ones. (Have you ever gone through the same experience?)

What shall I do?          

9 Nov 2010      

blunderbuster
Germany

Many things are changing and I keep shaking my head too......it �s the same everywhere. Keep your chin up.

9 Nov 2010     

BIBILOLO
Italy

Hi!!
I have no advice for you, because I �m going to start my first teaching experience on Thursday.
But I can only say you shouldn �t feel desperate because every class has its clever and/or not interested students. 
There are those who are intelligent and bright and there are bored students as well who haven �t any interest in studying. It �s not your fault, but theirs.

Try to give them a FURTHER chance: assigne them additional homework or pay particular attention on their difficulties. Maybe they have too many "gaps" in English grammar that they �ve given up studying. 
Try to discover if the problem is that they have problems in English comprehension or if it �s JUST a matter of non interest.

I �m Sorry for not being more helpful, that �s the only things I can say.

Regards

9 Nov 2010     

nombasa
South Africa

This just shows you that you and your class are the same as every other one the world over.  It also shows that your test is probably fair too as if all passed, then it would be too easy.  Don �t look at the test as a reflection only of your teaching style but as a diagnostic tool to show you where you need to put in more work for your poorer students.  Although it is extra work, it would be good to split your class into two groups.  While the brighter ones are doing some kind of follow up work to your lesson, talk to the group who are struggling and try to give them some work based more at their level.  This will pay off long term.

Think of a builder.  He always starts with the foundations and works his way up.  If he started half way up the wall, then it would collapse.  If students are failing their tests then you must work more on the foundations rather than try to continue building the wall.  In reality there may be some students who never progress much further than the foundations.

Try to do more interactive work with those who are struggling encouraging them to participate more orally.

Hope that helps

Jenny (Nombasa)

9 Nov 2010     

sole_rom
Costa Rica

Hi!
I have experienced the same feelings you �re talking about.  What I can tell you is that try to assess your students using different tools. Don �t rely only on tests; also use homework assignments, oral presentations, classwork assignments; in this way you won �t be so dissapointed with the tests � results.  You can use reward systems to motivate those students who are struggling to make a double effort.
As teachers, we usually find students with different levels of proficiency, motivation,  in one class.  Our challenge is to make the low level ones to improve.  Of course you have to keep a balance and not lose your advance students motivation.  It �s a game which makes teaching even more interesting and challenging! 
I hope you find my opinion in some way helpful
Sole

9 Nov 2010     

yanogator
United States

One way to help is to pair the better students with the poorer ones, so they can help them on the peer level. Find or create two-person activities that will re-inforce the concepts that the poorer students are having trouble with, so the better students can help them. This will keep the better students from being bored, and they will feel important. The poorer students will be getting extra attention without feeling stupid.

I hope this helps you,
Bruce

9 Nov 2010     

JudyHalevi
Israel

I like Yano �s idea.  Good one, Yano! Clap

Hugfrom Israel

Judy

9 Nov 2010     

marie001
Tunisia

Don �t worry Nizar the pupils �levels are so bad .Wehave to do our best to help students improve their levels

9 Nov 2010     

etoilist
Tunisia

I think you can do differentiation. You can give different tasks according to their level.

9 Nov 2010