Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > restrictive and non restrictive clause     

restrictive and non restrictive clause

napster
Costa Rica

restrictive and non restrictive clause

HEY guys, I found this topic complicated "restrictive and non restrictive" can someone explain me, PLEASE?

9 Nov 2010      

franknbea
United Kingdom

Restrictive clauses limit the possible meaning of a preceding subject. Nonrestrictive clauses tell you something about a preceding subject, but they do not limit, or restrict, the meaning of that subject.

Example of Restrictive: The suspect in the lineup who has ginger hair committed the crime.

For this sentence to be a correct restrictive clause there must only be one man in the lineup who has ginger hair.

Example Nonrestrictive: The suspect in the lineup, who owns a blue car, committed the crime.

Although the nonrestrictive gioves more information about the suspect it doesn�t restrict us to just one choice as there may well be other men in the lineup with blue cars.

use �that� to introduce a restrictive clause and �which� to introduce a non restrictive clause.

I hope this helps clear it up for you

9 Nov 2010     

sulekra
Australia

It �s related to relative clauses, but I �ve generally found it referred to as defining and non-defining.
A defining/restrictive relative clause specifies/defines the thing you are talking about, while a non-defining/non-restrictive clause is additional information which is between two commas.

eg.
The man who ordered pizza had crazy purple hair. 
This specifies which man you are talking about, as their are other people (such as the green haired man who ordered pasta).
The man, who ordered pizza, had crazy purple.
We are talking about one man, and the fact that he ordered a pizza is extra information.

My sister who lives in london is a circus clown. - I �m specifying which sister (the one who lives in Tokyo is an army general, and the one who lives in Frankfurt is a submarine window cleaner
My sister, who lives in london, is a circus clown. - I either have one sister, or from the context we already know which sister we are talking about.

9 Nov 2010