Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Start formation    

Start formation

Isabel Oliveira
Portugal

Start formation

Hello teachers..

Principalmente para professores de Portugal.

Vou come�ar a dar forma��o de Aprendizagem de t�cnico de mecatr�nica autom�vel e nem sei como come�ar. ~

Algu�m me pode ajudar ou dar uma ideia. nem sei que tipo de teste diagn�stico fazer porque n�o sei quem s�o os alunos e qual o n�vel deles de Ingl�s.

Por favor, ajudem.

Kiss

10 Nov 2010      

portugueseteacher
Portugal

Hi, Isabel.
It would be nice to put this post in English because I �m sure teachers no matter the country can help you, not just from Portugal...

First, don �t panic!It �s natural that you don �t kow your students at this stage but prepare them a placement test.

Before that you could hand them a questionnaire in which they can refer their previous knowledge in  learning  English Language, their preferences in teaching resources(handouts, fims, Internet).

In this questionnaireyou can also find out what they think about the importance of learning English in their personal and professional life, what are their expectations regarding the course.

Of course you can put the questionnaire in Portuguese if you sense they don �t have much knowledge yet...

Don �t forget to make a planning with your sts aims , contents , strategies and resources after having the questionnaires in your possession.

Hope this can help you!

11 Nov 2010     

eliana
Portugal

I agree with "portuguese teacher".

A good idea is preparing an ice breaking activity. I do a nice and simple one. I just write some sentences about me on the board. Some of them are true and others false. Students have to guess which ones are true. Try to write obvious sentences

For example (sentences I write about myself) :

I �m married. (you should have a ring)

I hate animals. (maybe you can use sth related to animals or have a screensaver in your computer)

I have lived in England for a year (they should spot the accent)

etc

Then students use the sentences on the board as a model to talk about themselves.

Try to find a PPT here on ESL about different topics and make it your questionnaire. I find "Who wants to be a millionaire" or twenty questions" perfect to find out about students knowledge.

Cheers

11 Nov 2010