Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > What is she like? Can this question be used for physical descriptions?    

What is she like? Can this question be used for physical descriptions?

yolprica
Spain

What is she like? Can this question be used for physical descriptions?

I have always taught that this question is used to describe somebody �s character. For example when the answer is: "she is intelligent, shy and hardworking". But for physical descriptions, I have always taught that the question is : What does she look like?.  (I ask this question because I have seen a worksheet in today �s contributions whose title is this and it refers to physical appearance)
What do you think about this?
Thanks in advance for your help
Yolanda

11 Nov 2010      

magneto
Greece

I also think it can only be used to ask about somebody �s personality (I �ve also found this on the web), but maybe a native speaker has a different opinion?
Looking forward to some native speakers � answers!

11 Nov 2010     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

I think not. What does she look like? is the correct version. But I guess the native speakers know better...
Sophia
PS 2 magneto: againSmile

11 Nov 2010     

magneto
Greece

Again, Sophia? Looks like you �re my Ukrainian alter egoSmile

11 Nov 2010     

magneto
Greece

And again...LOL

11 Nov 2010     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

2 magneto: no waySmile

11 Nov 2010     

blunderbuster
Germany

http://forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?t=237864

11 Nov 2010     

SueThom
United States

If someone asks me "What is she like?", I �m probably going to describe the person �s character, abilities, personality, etc.  I might toss "tall" or "pretty" or something similar into the mix, but that �s not going to be the focus of my description.

I �m trying to think when a physical description might answer that question.  Hmmm.  Maybe if you were asking me about her as an athlete, then I might say something about her being being tall and agile or short and quick or maybe long-limbed so she has a great (tennis) serve or handles hurdles well. 

Perhaps if you were asking me about a beauty pageant contestant--comparing one with the rest of the contestants--I might say she is dark-haired and blue-eyed, but would still probably include that she is quite or bubbly or something else about her personality.

Those are the only scenarios I can come up with at the moment in which I �d respond to the question with any physical descriptors.

11 Nov 2010     

GIOVANNI
Canada

I would answer by describing the person �s personality or character.  Like Sue, I might add a word about her physical description, such as she is beautifull, but the main focus would be on the personality and character.

I would say she is easygoing, hardworking, and a little bit shy.

12 Nov 2010     

ballycastle1
United Kingdom

I think it rather depends on the context as Sue has said. 

A: �We �ve got a new boss at work. � 
B : �Oh.  What �s he like? � 
A: �He seems Ok but he �s quite strict about our time-keeping. �

However,
A: �My brother �s new girlfriend is really beautiful. �
B: �Really?  What �s she like? �
A: She �s got long, brown hair, legs that go on for ever and a lovely figure. �

12 Nov 2010