Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Simple Present or Plural Verbs?     

Simple Present or Plural Verbs?

Homeless Turtle
United States

Simple Present or Plural Verbs?

Hello everyone!

I have an upcoming lesson on Simple Present Tense. But I have a couple of questions:

Question 1- Is there a difference between Simple Present and Plural Verbs?
The example given in our text book is:

I love baseball.
My brother loves baseball too.  

Question 2- Can anyone think of any good activities to help my students learn this grammar point? I have to keep it really, really, simple (no seriously, REALLY simple!)

Thank you for your help!

12 Nov 2010      

douglas
United States

Loves is not a plural verb-- the "s" simply indicates the third person singular.

My easy rule:  "He, she, it; the "S" comes with"

12 Nov 2010     

Zora
Canada

Douglas is correct. The "s" doesn�t indicate a plural verb... And his rule is one that I often use. And if that doesn�t seem to work - tell them that "s" is for singular! (he, she, it... one person or thing.)

12 Nov 2010     

debk2000
United States

Not sure if this is what you �re looking for, but you can easily use daily routines to practice simple present like:

I eat breakfast at 7:00. etc. -going through one �s daily routine

And later add:
He goes to work. etc. - to practice the third person using daily routines.

There �s a lot of good resources on ESL printables for daily routines! :)

12 Nov 2010     

class centre
Belarus

Look, what I say to my sts about this rule: if the subject has S, the verb does not have it and if the subject does not have S ( I mean nouns not pronouns) the verb does have it.  We speak very simply about it : S is only one and can �t stand in both places at a time. They get it very easy. Try...
Good luck!

12 Nov 2010     

Homeless Turtle
United States

Thank you everyone for your help. I appreciate you taking the time to clarify this. Smile

14 Nov 2010