Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Is it right?    

Is it right?

chenchen_castrourdiales
Spain

Is it right?

Hi there,

Once again I need your help. One of my FCE students was writing a review about his favourite TV series when he asked me how it is said in English the word "m�rito".  I asked him to tell me the whole sentence because sometimes when my students ask me how to translate one word in English I got stuck. He told me the sentence: "In conclusion, my favourite TV series is The Simpsons and I think that they have a lot of __________ because they have entertained a lot of generations of children." Since I didn �t know how to say that word in English I told him to write "success" intead. When the class was over I looked the word up in a dictionary. The given answers were "merit", "worthy". Still I am not sure if these words would fit and express my student �s meaning. As far as I know the word "merit" is used when talking about academic results, I may be worng though.

On the other hand, when talking about CD and songs can we used the words "slow" or "strong" to describe the rhythm or style? Which words can we use to describe songs or albums?

Thanks a million for your help!

13 Nov 2010      

Apodo
Australia

"In conclusion, my favourite TV series is The Simpsons and I think that it has a lot of merit because it has entertained many generations of children."

Merit is the word to use, but as it describes the singular series the verb needs to agree.

I would use many, but only because it sounds smoother.

Describing music:
slow rhythm
strong beat

13 Nov 2010     

yanogator
United States

I completely agree with Apodo about "merit" and the fact that "many" sounds smoother than "a lot of" in this sentence.

As for what you said about the dictionary giving "merit" and "worthy" for m�rito, that is strange because "merit", like "m�rito" is a noun, while "worthy" is an adjective. Also, "merit" is not at all restricted to academic usage. It is similar to the words "worth" and "value" in their non-monetary sense.

Bruce

13 Nov 2010