Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Can I use a scanned picture from a magazine?    

Can I use a scanned picture from a magazine?

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

Hi LB

I agree, we use clipart to help us , in teaching our students. We need those texts and photos and clips. Without them, we are ... bare foot.

Now, let �s put things on some other level.
You are a gardener, you need my tools, you pick them and go to my neighbour �s and do the gardening and  I ,........ well, I stay at home, no work to do, but someone using my tools.

Let �s say.. I �m a taxi driver, you pick my taxi and do the job with my car, that you stole, while I was having a nice cup of tea...... Then, what, you did right, �cause someone needee a taxi and I was not there,,and You picked my car and did the job.

Let �s us say, peop�le who take photos / or do web designs... that �s their jobs... they have to be paid for what they do. I know, it �s difficult to pay them, we don �t see them.

Cliparts, in the net, most of the time are not very clear as if they are completely FREE or not. I take for myself that, when something doesn �t have a clear message of " feel free, thois is lall free " I am , always deeply in doubt.

This said, it doesn �t mean that I don �t have ever, ever, crossed the rules. For sure, I must have already made mistakes; but , the more I go, the more I see, The more I try to work in a clean environment.
I know, I have a long wasy to go. My country doesn �t respect these "silliy things " of copyright.
When a few students don �t have the book, we are told we can do photocophies, in the school.
WHEN i say, thar �s illegal, I �d get an answer like this:
WHO CARES?

I try a nice, clean, shiny way.
Not easy, I know, but, if, just if, each one of us will do one �s role, things will get cleaner and shinier.

Sorry,spoke too much

Have a nice, brilliant week
Linda
I have had this discussion tons of times. If I take a photo, the photo is mine. No pint, no discussion: I can put it on a site, but, that doesn �t mean you can use it, for whatever you want.

14 Nov 2010     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

@ manon

I never upload anything that can have a slight root of copyright, IF I FEEL IT.

I always ask permission and, as you said, that is not so difficult, when we explain what we want and what for.
Anything I may have uploaded which goes against the rules, I will delete and apologize.

My question is:

We are teachers. If I have to deal with some writers � work, how can I do it? Can I print and distribute copies? Can i use a photo to illustrate my work? Can I pick pictures from the net and do my work, in peace?

oR
Rather, whenever I need such a thing, do I have to check and address to whomever has the rights and ask for permission?

Why, around the world, don �t we have a set of copyright rules for teaching and education?

not speaking about those who steal a printable here and upload it there, speaking about our need of realia.

If I , ( God, how many times I �ve done that ) bring some brochures from the hotels and other public places, advertisng lots of things, I may bring them to use them in my classes? May I upload my work with those brochures? or will it be considered illegal �

Pity the this thread is running out the forum, I would like to hear more opinions, really an important question , which may disturb us all.

Hugs, have a nice week
Linda

14 Nov 2010     

< Previous   1    2