Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > How would you say that?    

How would you say that?

silviamontra
Spain

How would you say that?

Hello all,

I am translating something, I got stuck and I thought maybe you could help me. I am translating a school certificate issued by the secretary of the school, and I don �t know how to write the last sentence where it says exactly this. I searched the net and I found a couple of options:

And so that it may be known where these presents shall come I hereby issue the present certification

It sounds a bit too complicated to me.

In witnees whereof, I hereby sign

This looks perfectly simple if it is correct enough.

What is your opinion about it? Thanks for your help. Kisses from Spain

14 Nov 2010      

yanogator
United States

I don �t understand the use of the word "presents" in the first option, and it sounds too complicated to me, too.

The word "hereby" is unnecessary in the second one, but you can keep it. Of course, there will be a signature after that.

What does it say in Spanish? Also, what is the certificate for?

Bruce

14 Nov 2010     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Dear Silviamontra,

Are you translating from English to Spanish, or from Spanish to English?  I imagine that it is the second.

"It says exactly this".  It says exactly WHAT?

A Spanish-speaker could give a translation of the document into English, and then an English-speaker could check that the English is correct.

At present, I don �t fully understand the following sentence:  "And so that it may be known where these presents shall come I hereby issue the present certification". 
"where these presents shall come".  What does this mean?

I think that the phrase "where these presents" should be "where these present", ("where these individuals, who are present").

"shall come"  What does this mean?

"certification" or "certificate"?

"In witnees whereof, I hereby sign"

should be "in witness whereof, I hereby sign".

I appreciate that there is a question of confidentiality, but without seeing (either) the Spanish original (or) a full copy of your translation, it is difficult to give an opinion.

Les

14 Nov 2010     

sonrisasdefresa
Spain

It may be something in spanish like: Si los presentes vienen o se ofrecen a venir, yo firmar� el presente certificado.

Sorry for write it in spanish!Confused

14 Nov 2010     

silviamontra
Spain

Thank you all for your answers. Well, the original sentence was this one:

y para que as� conste y tenga los efectos necesarios, firmo el siguiente certificado

I didn �t write it from the beginning to avoid using Spanish, and this is why I gave you an explanation of what it expressed. It is nor necessary to tranlate literally. The document is a certificate where it says the subjects and marks that a student obtained in a course here in Spain. I guess he/she wants to study abroad and the school asks for a document specifying subjects and marks. This document is issued by the secretary who also signs it.

So far, I just decided on this last sentence:

And so that it may be known, I hereby issue and sign the present certification,

Any suggestions? Do I have your approval, my dear fellow teachers?

Thanks again for your revplies.

14 Nov 2010     

yanogator
United States

I would suggest that you say, "And so that it may be known, I hereby affix my signature" ("affix my signature" is a common phrase on legal documents, or at least it was in the past).

Bruce

14 Nov 2010     

silviamontra
Spain

Thanks again to all of you for taking the time to answer.

Kisses from Spain

15 Nov 2010