Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > Word of the Day - 11/15/2010    

Word of the Day - 11/15/2010

Nereis
Argentina

It �s a very relaxed griffon, which is always in meditative state.

15 Nov 2010     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Hello, everybody.

"zenzizenzizenzic"

The moment that I saw this word I breathed a sigh of relief.
Firstly, because, initially, I thought that it was another Health and Safety Warning gone wrong; and secondly, because it was only yesterday that I had a yoghurt.

This is a topic that I really know something about.  New Clear Fishing!

Many of you will be intimately acquainted (in a non-sexual sense) with Dmitri Mendeleev.  It was he who devised, (during his Free Periods in the Woodwork Class), the Periodic Table, which is used periodically by chemists, when they are preparing prescriptions.

Of course, you will all know that the Halogens react violently with the Metalloids, and the Noble Gases never, ever speak to the Alkalis, because of that business with the Rotten-Egg Gas.

Immediately, you realise to what I �m referring (to)!  The word "zenzizenzizenzic" is the chemical formula for tri-zirconeated zinc!  (Or is it tri-zincated zirconium?)
Anyway, this chemical compound was intended to revolutionise New Clear Energy.

With only one drop of this liquid, it would be possible to produce sufficient electricity to power the whole of New York, plus, charge a watch battery.  The big advantage was that the waste matter produced could be used as washing-up liquid.

(Incidentally, have you ever noticed that bottles of Lemon Juice are made from artificial flavouring, but Washing-Up Liquid always contains real lemon juice?)

Unfortunately, the experiment went wrong.  After spending 475 Billion Dollars on a prototype, someone noticed that the laboratory door wasn �t closed and all of the research data was invalidated.

But they did succeed in manufacturing a yoghurt carton which was indestructible by Man, (although a Woman has no problem with it!)

Les

15 Nov 2010     

cauffeepot
Benin

It �s a zebra who just ate a peanut butter sandwich and it �s stuck to the roof of his mouth and he �s rolling down a hill, yelling help in zebra language. It �s so obvious!

16 Nov 2010     

MoodyMoody
United States

I can �t top these! Cry It makes me so sad. So for me, zenzizenzizenzic is the feeling of frustration and stupidity caused by an inability to find a better definition of an obscure word.

16 Nov 2010     

< Previous   1    2