Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > I need your advice    

I need your advice

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

Sorry to see how bad manners can affect our daily work, all over the world. I also have some stuff similar, I think many of us have.

What will I do?

Well, each one of us fights with the guns one has.
My kids are used to having my camera right on my table, I take photos, I make short movies, then we watch them again to correct the mistakes.

So, my camera is a very important gun - I will go on with the lesson, turn on the camera and, WITHOUT NOTICING IT Ermm, I would take some shots of her, next, well, it all would depend on her reaction.
But this would put an end to such strange situation.

Good luck
Linda

16 Nov 2010     

MarionG
Netherlands

I think Douglas �s advice is sound. He might not be aware it is interrupting your class and bothering you. Mention it in a friendly way and point out you would really appreciate it if he can refrain from entering during class. If he does come in again, knowing you don �t want him to, then you can take it up a level.
Retalliation, however tempting, tends to escalate the problem. Same for not mentioning it actually, you will get more and more annoyed and it is likely to blow up.
Thank god I have a really nice relationship with most of my collegues. One of my collegues walked into my class pretty much in the same fashion you described. I put my hands on her shoulders, turned her around, towards the door,  and gently  �pushed � her out the door. It was fun, the students had a laugh and it got the message thru. (I know something like that is only possible when there is a good atmosphere in the scvhool betweeen teachers)

16 Nov 2010     

Zsuzsapszi
Hungary

I teach English, but I am a psychologist as well. So I hope I can confirm you which way to choose.

First, I advise to talk to your disturbing colleague about his behaviour. I know you don�t have a good relationship, maybe that�s why he tries to annoy you. I think he may envy your relationship with the students or maybe your results. He can�t have a good self-confidence and poise of mind. It can be interesting whether he does this only with you or this is a common behaviour of his. If you are the one, then you have a kind of characteristic which he envies. That�s why try to be as calm and short as you can. Don�t go into details. This way you let him know his behaviour isn�t acceptable.

Second, if he keeps on behaving like before you can talk to your superior. The atmosphere in your school is very important when you have to solve the kind of conflict you have. Do you have good enough relationship with your superior that you can ask for his/her help? Anyway you have to report it.

I don�t really think behaving the same way would be the best way. I accept it could happen. But from your words I see you aren�t that kind of person. You avoid conflicts instead of having one. Hope I could help you.

16 Nov 2010     

_babz
Canada

Wow!

Thanks so much everyone, your advice really helped me a lot.

I plan on taking notes....of every event. So far, I �ve been patient and I haven �t said anything, but next time, I �m going to make a comment in from of the students (like many of you suggested) - and if it continues, I �ll go see the principal

of course, I know close my door (but he did open it once), but now I put a cover on the door window, and I wrote �do not disturb �

so anyways, I �ll keep you all posted!

THANKS ..and greetings from CND

17 Nov 2010     

Errie
Japan

@Nombasa:

That is what I call giving advice Clap  Being assertive and not agressive will make people (not all) think about their behavior and you are absolutley correct about the fact that the students will respect you in the long run. This advice tells a lot about you as a teacher...lucky students..

@babz:
Good luck with everything and never avoid something negative, just face it. It sounds easy but I was there and I know the situation you are in.

17 Nov 2010     

< Previous   1    2