Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > can you help me?    

can you help me?

mary-butterfly
Brazil

can you help me?

Is it right? 

Can you take a look if my translation is right?
I need it to prepare some test to my school
thanks in advance.
 I will give the right translation in portuguese too.

Spine smart generates energy  when the cars pass

The electricity created will be used to light poles, traffic lights and even its spine during the night
,, Instead of speed bumps made of asphalt and concrete, what do you think of a bump of plastic that uses the weight of cars to generate electricity? The system was the idea of English designer Peter Hughes, who intends to use the extra energy to light up light poles, traffic lights and even her spine, which would be lit up at night so that no one leave behind when the exhaust passes through it.

Lombada inteligente gera energia enquanto carros passam

A eletricidade criada ser� usada para acender postes, sem�foros e at� a pr�pria lombada durante a noite. Em vez de lombadas feitas de asfalto e concreto, que tal uma lombada de pl�stico que usa o peso dos carros para gerar eletricidade? O sistema foi ideia do designer ingl�s Peter Hughes, que pretende usar a energia extra para acender postes de luz, sem�foros e at� a pr�pria lombada, que ficaria iluminada durante a noite, para que ningu�m mais deixe o escapamento para tr�s quando passar

16 Nov 2010      

analis_bernacchi
United Kingdom

Hi Mary:

Your translation looks good.

It is just this bit in the original text which is a bit confusing (even in English!) :which would be lit up at night so that no one leave behind when the exhaust passes through it.

Just wondering: Leave what behind??? I think you were right in translating leaving the exhaust (escapamento) behind, but the original text seems a bit funny.

Rgds

16 Nov 2010     

apedral
Brazil

I think the translation is ok, but I would write the last lines like this:

instead of :
so that no one leave behind when the exhaust passes through it.

It would be like this:

So that no one leaves the exhaust behind when passing through it...

Cheers

Angela

16 Nov 2010     

belksau
Portugal

Hi!

Sorry, but this text is very confusing!  

�light poles � = streets lights?
�spine � = skeletal structure in your back/ spine of a book would be the part where the pages are connected (I �m not sure how you can �light this up �) 

For the last part I believe you are trying to say-

ï¿½He has his own personal speed bump illuminated so that people can see it and not leave their exhaust pipes behind when going over it�

Kind regards

16 Nov 2010     

Jayho
Australia

Hi Mary-Butterfly

It�s a little bit confusing - I can�t read the Portuguese version so I�m not sure entirely what it is meant to say.  However, I think it would be advantageous to define Spine Smart, especially if it is a brand name or a new concept.  The concept of generating power from speed humps is innovative but something that many would not have prior knowledge of. Therefore a definition would explain this. The last sentence is definitely not clear.

Spine smart is a .... which generates energy when the cars pass over (or through) it

The electricity created will be used to provide power to 
street lights, traffic lights and even its spine during the night ,, Instead of speed bumps made of asphalt and concrete, what do you think of a bump of plastic that uses the weight of cars to generate electricity? The system was the idea of English designer Peter Hughes, who intends to use the extra energy to light up light poles, traffic lights and even her [its] spine, which would be lit up at night so that [no one leave behind when the exhaust passes through it - does not make sense - leave what behind? what is the relevance of exhaust?  do you mean fumes or perhaps the exhaust pipe of the car?

Cheers

Jayho

16 Nov 2010     

mary-butterfly
Brazil

I THINK THAT SPINE COULD BE RAMP OR SPEED BREAKER .IS IT RIGHT?

16 Nov 2010     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

Hi,
Not a great help, just my 2 cents.

Seems to me that that "clever spine " refers to that "thing" many countries have , across the streets / roads, to force drivers to drive slower, so the word spine doesn �t seem very good, but not sure what it should be.I think Brazilian call it a "quebra mola", we Portuguese call it a " lomba ".

Those "spines " would be made in plastic so that cars could generate energy to light the traffic lights ( this is already very common, when we overpass the limit, we get next traffic light red ), to light the streets lights and also, ( this is the part which is causing more difficulties ), I think I understood it, more or less, LOL, to light the zebras, so that people wouldn �t cross in a different place, because zebras are not seen.

Well, may be Mary butterfly can check this and say if I understood it the right way, so thaT, native speakers can give her a hand.

Linda

16 Nov 2010     

Jayho
Australia

... interesting ... we don�t have the ones that generate power for the traffic lights so I�m afraid I can �t completely imagine what the spine is referring to.  Because you said that cars pass it I originally thought it might be vertical like the solar panel thingos that power the emergency roadside phones.  If it is horizontally set in the road�s surface to reduce speed then it has several names (well, here in Oz anyway) including speed bump and speed hump (and the dreaded rumble strip that is a series of minitaure speed bumps set close together) .  It no doubt has different names/definitions in different countries.

Do you have a picture Mary-Butterfly? If you post it here we will have a better idea of what it is.

Cheers

Jayho

16 Nov 2010     

almaz
United Kingdom

This is what mary-butterfly is referring to, so I guess she should be able to take it from here - although I �d strongly advise against using Google translator next time (the word �lombada � is more likely to refer to a ramp/speed bump than the spine which Google suggests, for example). Hope this makes the issue a little clearer.

16 Nov 2010