Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Any great ideas to teach Present Perfect and Present Perfect Continuous?    

Any great ideas to teach Present Perfect and Present Perfect Continuous?

urpillay
Spain

Any great ideas to teach Present Perfect and Present Perfect Continuous?

Hello, 
I am going to introduce present perfect and present perfect continuous tenses to my fifteen year old students tomorrow. Could you, please, recommend me any ideas, games or great motivating activities? Any idea is welcome.Thank you very much!

17 Nov 2010      

GIOVANNI
Canada

You could play some conversation games with them. 

One game is by asking the students to compare their day and to see who comes up with the most outrageous statments.

The dialogue would go like this

S1:  How has your day been so far?
S2:  Terrible.  How about you?
S1:   The same, I �ve only been working at my job for one month and I have just been fired.
S2:    You think that is bad,  I have only been married for one week and my husband has already stopped telling me he loves me.
S3: That �s nothing, I �ve just found out that my boyfriend has been dating my younger sister.
etc. etc.

You could also have them act out a job interview, and ask questions such as:
What experience have you had?
How long have you been working?
Have you worked in this area before?
Where else have you worked?  etc.

I sometimes hand out pictures and ask what has just happened and the student would have to say things according to the picture such as:  I �ve just lost my ring.

Hope this helps.

17 Nov 2010     

blunderbuster
Germany

This is great, Giovanni!

I have an online exercise to practice ;o)

17 Nov 2010     

puddyd
Oman

I cannot take credit for this because I  copied and pasted it from  a thread years ago, but unfortunately forgot to souce it, but I can tell you it works really well and the ss really get it after this explanation.It works very well for me, so give it a go.

To teach the unfinished time aspect of the present perfect, draw a time line on the board.  let�s assume we are in April 2003. Divide the line into 4 months. Write �now� in the middle of April. Put two crosses into January, one cross into February, three crosses into March and one cross into April. Write 2003 above the time line and 2002 to the left of January. Write 30x below 2002. It�s best to start with the verb �take� because it has a different past tense and past participle. On our time line, the crosses indicate the number of "photographs taken". The time line should look like this.

............Jan...................Feb................ Mar.................
Apr
(30x).../----x-----x------/------x-----------/-x---x----x-----/---x----now-----/

Present the time line by saying: "January is finished, February is finished, March is finished. April is not finished. 2002 is finished, but 2003 is not finished."

Now mime holding a camera and say: "I took two photographs in January, I took one photograph in February, I took three photographs in March. I�ve taken one photograph this month. "

Now point at the time line and count the crosses from January to �now�. Say: "I�ve taken � one, two, three, four, five six, seven � I�ve taken seven photographs this year."

Then point at 2002 and say: "I took thirty photographs last year."

Now ask questions while pointing at the time line.

How many photographs did I take in January?
How many did I take last year?
How many did I take last month?
How many have I taken this month?
How many have I taken this year?
And so on.

Now repeat the presentation with �letters written�, �films seen�, �cups broken�. These verbs all have a different past tense and past participle.

You can force questions and answers with:
Ask me about photographs in February: "How many �. ?"
And now ask me about films and this month.
And now about last year.
And now about this year.
And so on.

You can force negatives by asking:

Did you take four photographs last month?Have you taken three photographs this month?And so on.

17 Nov 2010     

Enid Stella
South Africa

You could try using a song to revise present perfect - Queen �s We Are The Champions OR U2 �s I Still Haven �t Found What I �m Looking For. There are many worksheets on this site for both songs.

17 Nov 2010