Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > strategies for happy staffrooms    

strategies for happy staffrooms

nombasa
South Africa

strategies for happy staffrooms

As we are reaching what I call the "silly season" where everyone is getting tired and grumpy, what strategies do you have for keeping your staffroom a happy place and your teaching fresh?

17 Nov 2010      

MarionG
Netherlands

That is so funny, here we only started the year two months ago and still it sounded so true! We are also already tired and grumpy... AAArghh  not boding well for the rest of the year..Love to hear peoples suggestions!

17 Nov 2010     

foreverjinxed
South Africa

I �ve experienced fairly happy staffrooms in Korea.
A few things that contribute:
A happy greeting to all from anyone who enters.
Staff often bring snacks or treats to share with everyone.
The concept of �saving face � is common in the East, where you aren �t supposed to let your emotions show.

Regarding keeping teaching fresh:
Don �t overuse the same sort of activity, no matter how much they love it.
Try to smile alot. lol ^_^

17 Nov 2010     

teacher_dave
Germany

I find that spontaneousness really helps. Lay the lesson plan to the side, and just do a spontaneous discussion about something in the news, or recent films, etc. Change does everyone good every now and then....

17 Nov 2010     

blunderbuster
Germany

Just ask people for a smile, if necessary at gunpoint .... Clown

It always helps to think that it could be worse......

17 Nov 2010     

aliciapc
Uruguay

One day a week we take photos of our families to share, we have really nice mid-morning breaks! Another day we take it in turns to cook a cake or pie and bring it to school to share in the break, too. I usually try to pin some graphic humor I find to the billboard in the staffroom, others complain about this and that student - which is also healthy sometimes! - considering we finish in 2 weeks! I can �t wait for the big break ... Tongue as much as I love my sts...

17 Nov 2010     

izulia
China

Blunderbuster
That image did make me smile. Thumbs Up
Zulia

17 Nov 2010     

blunderbuster
Germany

I made it especially for you guys. Alicia �s ideas are probably better in the long run ;o)

17 Nov 2010     

aliciapc
Uruguay

To tell you the truth, Regina , the cakes have been missing lately, as we are all with finals and meetings and the like ... but even when we can �t actually cook, Tuesdays is the day for "someone �s snacks" so we just buy sth for all of us.
I will print the funny cartoon in your post and will pin it to the billboard this afternoon ... everyone can understand "smile", even if they don �t speak English ... Thank you!

17 Nov 2010     

blunderbuster
Germany

I shoulda put my copyright there ;o)))

Clown

17 Nov 2010     

blunderbuster
Germany

Another one ....

17 Nov 2010     

1    2    Next >