Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > verb and noun pairs?    

verb and noun pairs?

roneydirt
United States

verb and noun pairs?

Was sent an outline for a class tomorrow and now she is not answering to clarify.  This is the list of the objectives:

-Present perfect simple, for vs. since

-Verb and noun pairs

The first is no problem but is an objective going with verb and noun pairs?  Maybe I know it under other names but that kind of threw me off, and yes I do not have access to their textbooks to see what type of questions they have. 

18 Nov 2010      

silvanadelval
Argentina

Hi Roneydirt. Verb & noun pairs could also be called Collocations. As I understand, some examples of verb+noun collocations might be:

* make: a mistake, your bed, an excuse, room for, a cake, etc.
* do: business, harm, good, homework
* get: a loan, a message, a present
* give: birth, way to, etc.

Collocation dictionaries could be very helpful to assist you in this class preparation.

Hope I have helped.

Have a great day!

Silvana

18 Nov 2010     

almaz
United Kingdom

I believe it refers to words which function as both nouns and verbs, where the pronunciation (stress) usually changes ("The company is going to present him with a gold watch." "He received a Rolex as a present." etc). There �s a good list here.

18 Nov 2010     

kodora
Greece

Have a look at this:
http://www2.cambridge.org/interchangearcade/launch.do?activityID=480&level=2&unit=16&type=Cup_fib&stage=2
Dora

18 Nov 2010