Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Grammar, grammar...    

Grammar, grammar...

joserik
Spain

Grammar, grammar...

Hello, friends!
Can you help me, please?
I know that these sentences are OK: "This is the hotel in which we stayed / This is the hotel that we stayed in / This is the hotel which we stayed in / This is the hotel we stayed in / This is the hotel where we stayed".
My question is: Is it possible to say: "This is the hotel where we stayed in"? I think it may be quite repetitive to use IN and WHERE in the same question but: is it grammatically correct?
Thanks in advance!

18 Nov 2010      

almaz
United Kingdom

I was dying to say �No way, Jose! � here but I �ll just content myself with saying that you should use one or the other - not both. 

Oddly enough, you could conceivably use this form in sentences like "This is the pool where we jumped in..."

18 Nov 2010     

kodora
Greece

No, it is not grammatically correct.You can use either the where/when structure or th other structures you mention.
Also it is preferable to omit which/that when it can be omitted.So you had better use:
This is the hotel we stayed in instead of:This is the hotel that we stayed in / This is the hotel which we stayed in
Dora

18 Nov 2010     

joserik
Spain

Thanks a lot! Have a nice day!

18 Nov 2010